Bringing a nMP on a plane

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by deuk1219, Jun 9, 2014.

1. deuk1219, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014

deuk1219 macrumors regular

Hey everyone, I am flying from ATL to LGA (New York) on Delta Airlines in a couple of days, and I plan on bringing my new Mac Pro (and a 23" monitor) with me as I am going to work on a video project that will last around a month. I plan to put it in the original packaging with the styrofoam inside, and will put it in my carry-on bag with a bunch of clothes inside. Has anyone tried to bring their new Mac Pro as a carry on? Will I have to take out my Mac Pro from the bag just like laptops going through TSA Security Check? I don't know what the TSA people will think when they see this machine through the X-RAY... because I don't think there are any other electronics that look like it! (and it kind of looks like a bomb, to be honest lol)

Thank you!

2. SandPebble macrumors regular

Maybe call TSA or the the airport and see if you can do an advance screening and inspection of the package?

3. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

I've brought a mac mini and a time capsule through checkpoint a couple years ago, didn't get stopped or raise any flags.

but the Mac Pro may be different..especially the weight? definitely go there ahead if you can.

4. Imaginator macrumors regular

I travel with my nMP all the time. I just put it into one of Apple's "backpack" bags from their stores and stick it in my backpack. You're just wasting space with all the foam and retail packaging. One of the first things I thought when they showed it off is "WHOA! I can put it in my backpack!!!"

My pack gets flagged 50% of the time by agents basically going "WTF is this thing?". It's an extra 2 minutes but whatever.

5. deuk1219 thread starter macrumors regular

LOL. I'd be surprised if the agents didn't react to it! Thanks for the input everyone...

6. tuxon86 macrumors 65816

7. Riwam macrumors 6502a

Riwam

Wrong analysis. Apple only allows to put inside RAM. There is no room for C4 and you risk to void your Apple coverage. I wouldn't do it :D

8. nox-uk macrumors regular

You've been watching too much youtube :p

and no, I won't link it - it will cause too many tears.

Nox

9. calaverasgrande macrumors 65816

calaverasgrande

Years ago when I used to carry my mini recording studio with me wherever I went, I almost never got screened. I think it is because I wear a lot of black and have kind of a 'creative look'. I've also been told I look like I smoke cigarettes. Not sure exactly what that means.
    But when I wetn east for business last year I got the full monty. Secondary. Pulled everything out of my carry on, which is a LOT of cables and stuff.
    Apparently my multiple external drives, audio interface and Grados look like a bomb. When I am wearing a tie.

10. Riwam macrumors 6502a

Riwam

The tie was the mistake. A terrorist might wear it and then use it to strangle the pilots. :D

11. deuk1219 thread starter macrumors regular

Wanted to give you guys an update, just went through TSA security in ATL and they had to take the nMP out from the bag and did a thorough check on it. After they made sure it was safe, they were like "this is a desktop computer?!? Man, technology man~"

12. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

I was going to say, you can borrow my old Mac 512k travel bag...I used to bring it home with me from college every break (too valuable to leave in a dorm room). I'm guessing not only is the nMP much smaller, it is also a heck of a lot lighter...

13. jlsm511 macrumors 6502

jlsm511

Curious what a "thorough check" entails? Just taking it out of the box or removing the outer cover of the actual nMP as well?

14. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

I wonder how they will react if you carry the old Mac Pro! 40 Pounds! They should have made a backpack for that!!!