Bringing an iMac overseas....

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Spadoinkles, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Spadoinkles macrumors regular

Hey guys.
    I'm not trying to sound absurd or anything...

I fly to Asia frequently and usually buy most of my expensive hardware and gadgets (from computers/phones/a hell lot more) since they're a lot cheaper over there, and for most items like Macs they're covered by warranty here. I've been mostly laptoppy over the last couple years but was looking at a desktop particularly for its strengths in imaging and video work, which has intensified significantly over the last 2-3 years. I've been looking towards a 27" specced-out iMac as I'm considering a very strong possibility of heading overseas for university(college) and am wondering... has anyone had experience in taking an iMac on a plane? No way I'm checking that baby in with the rascals that most baggage handlers are. iMac seems to be beyond the dimensions of carry-on-luggage for most airliners, but then again, from a young age I've witnessed everything from golf sets to home theatres being carried on and stored with the airline crew during the flight.

Any thoughts/experiences? Thanks :)

2. darster Suspended

Airlines are getting very strict on the size they allow. It only take one person in the whole chain of people from checking in to boarding that could force you to check it. Most likely they will. And then the issue of going through customs with it.

3. Spadoinkles thread starter macrumors regular

Going through customs? Well, if I was relocating overseas for university I'm sure they'd be fine. The handling of it if it's checked in is yet another issue though.

4. darster Suspended

Perhaps if you fly first class they will give you a little more wiggle room. That has been my experience, but of course it comes with a big price. Unless you have enough upgrade miles.