Bringing an iMac up to date

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Cbdboz, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Cbdboz macrumors regular

Cbdboz

I'm about to Oder my new iMac ( when I finally come off the fusion -v- SSd fence..)

..meanwhile, I would like to bring my old iMac to its potential, before I give it over to the family for use.

Current spec:
    2009 24" 2.66 ghz
    intel core 2 duo
    4gb ram (2x2 1067 MHz ddr3)
    640gb Sata hd
    Nvidia GeForce 9400m graphics

Machine is really slow....probably a combination of low RAM and...only 2.5g left on hard drive:eek: ( I keep moving stuff, but it keeps filling up!!!)

1) Can I increase the RaM?..if so to what?
    2) How do I clean up space on hard drive...do I just move all my movies and pics to an external hard drive....and if so will time machine back the external drive up (I.e. Where important content is)
    3) Can I do anything else to spruce up the machine?

A little more background if it helps....eventually we will have a household with a new iMac, this older version, a Mac mini, a 2010 mbp..( plus multiple iPhones / iPads). And am thinking the best option for storage would be a major external HD that will be connected to either the new iMac, mac min..or poss even the AE or Time capsule.

All any any advice and ideas welcome.....

Cheers

2. tillsbury macrumors 65816

I would just wipe it and reinstall the basics. It should be fairly fast for most purposes. The biggest upgrade you could make would be to put an SD in it, but you'll need to wait until the grown -ups get here to tell you how.

3. Cbdboz thread starter macrumors regular

Cbdboz