Bringing an old LCIII into the future...

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by newbreednet, Nov 30, 2008.

1. newbreednet macrumors newbie

...no this isn't some crazy case mod like the Classic Mac Mini :D

I have an LCIII running 7.1, an iBook, a PC with a floppy drive and some floppy disks. Can I somehow make a drive image of the HD inside the LCIII (all 80 megabytes of it ;)) so that I can boot it as a virtual machine and access all my files and apps? (on PC or iBook, but preferably iBook)

Thanks,
    Steve

2. JAT macrumors 603

Well, you can certainly make an image. What was it, Disk Copy back then?

I don't know if there is any software to emulate System 7 on OSX, though. Or Windows.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

SheepShaver does it on Intel Macs, provided the System 7 is at least 7.5.1.

4. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

5. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

THe iBook will be able to run Classic environment, which should handle any file from 7-9.x I believe.

As long as you have a USB floppy drive to hook to the iBook or some other way of transferring the files you should be set.

6. krye macrumors 68000

krye

I picked 2 old Zip 100 drives off eBay for a couple of bucks each. One SCSI and another USB. I hooked up the SCSI one to my old Mac SE and using an old Iomega Tools 4.2 driver, I was able to mount the Zip disk on the desktop. I copied the entire contents of my 45M hard drive to the Zip disk. I then loaded the Zip disk onto my Mac Pro using the USB Zip drive. I copied the contents of the Zip disk into a disk image and open it up using Mini vMac. I now have the entire SE hard drive accessible under Mini vMac. It works great the other way too.

I downloaded a ton of free software and games for OS 6 and 7. I also downloaded OS 7.5.5. I then copied the contents of the upgraded Mini vMac OS back onto the Zip disk. I then copied everything back onto the SE's hard drive. It now boots into OS 7.5.5 and has things like MacInTalk and a bunch of cool classic games.

7. newbreednet thread starter macrumors newbie

8. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

copy Apple II+ disks to Mac

I know I can get an Apple IIGS to copy the 5.25 inch floppies to 3.5 floppies, but I was wondering if there were other solutions.

The floppies contain word processing and spreadsheet documents.