Bringing back the barely living

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by comda, Sep 22, 2015.

1. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

Greetings MacRumors!

I am sad to say that the machine in my signature will sadly retire tonight. Its been an amazing macbook and for 8 years since the day i bought it from best buy ive loved it. But Lion makes the machine too hot, slowly software is no longer supported and since my SSD died last week its just slow. Just a shame i just dropped a new battery in it last year.

So tonight im told im receiving a 2009, 13.3 inch Macbook Pro 5,5 from a friend. According to Mactracker it can handle 8Gb DDr3 Ram, and the latest and greatest version of OSX! Its currently running leopard, and has 2gb of Ram and sadly no power cord. It requires a 60watt, so if the plug fits from mine perfect!

What i want to know from you guys, is what do you suggest for Ram? 4Gb or just go to the 8 right away? Mactracker states it can handle 8gb, but can it handle more?

OSX. I kinda really hate the Yosemite look. Sorry! i love the way snow leopard through mavericks looks. So im thinking get 10.9.5 on it. For now Mavericks can handle with 2gb right? Or is there a good reason to just to Yosemite? i want to do mavericks and if i like the look and feel of el captain ill do that.

HDD, i have no clue whats in there. My SSD is being RMA'ed so once i get a replacement ill be good to go. What i want to know is, is it possible to use the HDD thats in there then somehow mirror what i have on this drive to the SSD when i get it?

Battery, IM told its not bad but not brand new obviously. I just bought a new Battery for my Macbook 3,1 (dumb idea cause a year later now i upgrade huh), so what im wondering, how much would a replacement cost.

Finally, Do you think this machine is still worth it? Im getting it free, so a RAM upgrade, my ssd and maybe a battery or charger if mine doesnt suit it. What do you think? im using it for school. Word, powerpoint and firefox are the main things.

Thanks

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

If you're going to use any OS "beyond" 10.8.5, you probably should install 8gb of RAM.

You'll want an SSD for Mavericks, Yosemite, or El Capitan.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Go with 8Gb and get it done.

OS X go with Yosemite because you'll want El Capitan for the graphics improvements on older systems and it'll be an easier transition.

Just put the SSD in an external enclosure (a few dollars from amazon or best buy) and use Carbon copy cloner or similar to do a complete copy of the drive and then just swap them over and it'll boot as if nothing has happened.

Batteries currently very cheap on amazon US at $50 at the moment so maybe worth a go.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=battery+MBP+2009

With an SSD and 8Gb that machine will fly for simple use and with El capitan it should be okay graphically under metal for a few years.

4. c8rlo macrumors 6502

c8rlo

RAM: def get 8gb, it's fairly cheap.
    HDD: def get an SSD, like Samuelsan2001 suggested put the old HDD in an external enclosure(also cheap) as backup; prices are going down on the SSD's especially the 256gb, some are currently going for under $80.
    BATTERY/POWER: buy a Genuine power cord/battery, knockoffs tend to heat and are a potential fire hazard.

5. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

I just installed Mavericks.. It can run it but only has 32mb spare ram. Defiantly going to get 8GBRAM.
    My power cord from my Macbook 3,1 matched the 60Watt power specs so im using that. The battery health is at 66% and im defiantly going to buy an authentic apple branded battery for it. I have a Kingston 240GB 300V SSD that has died but warranty is handling it once i ship it out. Im going to put that in this machine once i get it back. I have to secure erase the SSD first.

6. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

Any kind of Ram you suggest? i was going to do for 2x 4GB 1066 Kingston Ram..

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Any quality RAM of the correct speed and voltage should be fine, I usually use crucial myself though.

8. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

I know its 1066 speed, but have no idea about the voltage... Ill have to pop it open to check.. So far its running decently with 2gb, but with word and firefox open i have about 50mb slack and that needs to change. haha

9. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

Thanks. Now i know it needs a mini display out but does that send Audio as well?