Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

morrisman1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I don't know if this is correct or if its already been covered but anyway..

I calibrated my macbook battery the other day and it went down to 97% (shock horror), its 73 cycles and 8 months old. In desperation I smashed it with a hammer hoping it would fix it.... just joking I actually drained it down to 80% and then charged again, repeated this three times. After the first time the battery life when to 4058 mAh, then the second time it went to 4090 mAh and after the third time it rised again to 4126 mAh. Original capacity is 4100 mAh

I don't understand the reasoning for this or if the system profiler is lying about the battery capacity but maybe its something that people on the forum could try out and report back with the results.

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
I don't know if this is correct or if its already been covered but anyway..

I calibrated my macbook battery the other day and it went down to 97% (shock horror), its 73 cycles and 8 months old. In desperation I smashed it with a hammer hoping it would fix it.... just joking I actually drained it down to 80% and then charged again, repeated this three times. After the first time the battery life when to 4058 mAh, then the second time it went to 4090 mAh and after the third time it rised again to 4126 mAh. Original capacity is 4100 mAh

I don't understand the reasoning for this or if the system profiler is lying about the battery capacity but maybe its something that people on the forum could try out and report back with the results.

Your system cannot always predict the exact mAh rating of your battery. It fluctuates because the battery is not easily readable. The figures coming up in CoconutBattery and System Profiler are pretty much estimates.

*Edit* just to prove this, i post an image of my coconutBattery window.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    46.5 KB · Views: 57

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
UK
How do you calibrate the battery again?
Do the 'old' Alu Macbooks (2 months old) have batteries that last about 1000 charges?

Sorry to ask these here but I thought better than posting a new thread.
Luke.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.