Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMatt mini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Central New Jersey
I want to bring my iBook to school to take notes on it for second semester. However, I've run into a few problems I need to fix before I can.
1. I think I type too loud. My friend, who brings his, said his laptop has something like quiet keys, does Mac have this? I don't want to bug any of my teachers more than I already do. ;)
2. My parents are worried it will get stolen, what can I get to reassure them it won't. I'm 99% sure it won't, it will be on me the whole time, but what can I do if it does get stolen, is there any way to track/find it as reassurance for them?
3. What is a good program to take notes on? Something quick that I can easily organize later. Preferably free. :D

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
iMatt mini said:
1. I think I type too loud. My friend, who brings his, said his laptop has something like quiet keys, does Mac have this? I don't want to bug any of my teachers more than I already do. ;)
Buy an iSkin (http://www.iskin.com/). I don't have an answer for you on the other questions but I just use Word for everything. Now that iWork '06 is out you might find Pages to be very good for you.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
1. Just keep your fingers lower. ;)
2. Promise you'll keep it in the office or something when it's not on you.
3. Word for Mac in notebook layout has served me well.

Also, make sure you have a good lappy bag to carry it around in. ;)

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
ibook keys dont tpye very hard (at least not on my ibook g3)

about the stolen part most people might think it loosts cool but wouldnt no how to use it so why steal it (when you are in your drom or w/e keep it in a hiding place when you are not near)

for notes you could do either MS office on the lappy or iWork 06'
or just use text edit

bursty

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2004
max_altitude said:
3. Word for Mac in notebook layout has served me well.
Where is that option? All I see is Normal, Outline, Page, and Master Layouts....:confused:

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
If you bring it to school and you have sensitive info on it make sure to use filevault and also setting up a open firmware password is a good idea too.
Also make sure you invest in one of those notebook locks so that when you can be with your ibook it cant be stolen.
Heres a tracking program but they charge a monthly fee, but guarantee that they get your laptop back.
http://www.absolute.com/Public/computraceplus/laptop-security.asp

iMatt mini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Central New Jersey
benjamindaines said:
Buy an iSkin (http://www.iskin.com/). I don't have an answer for you on the other questions but I just use Word for everything. Now that iWork '06 is out you might find Pages to be very good for you.
What does iSkin do? Just protect the keys from being damaged?
I have a laptop case already, so I don't see the problem my parents have. (By the way, I'm in high school, not college, no dorm room. ;))

donga

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2005
AZ
I'd go with the iskin for the ibook keyboard. In my classes last semester I noticed when teachers would lecture, my powerbook w/ iskin protouch typed very quietly and the ibooks out there you could hear to the point where it could be considered distracting.

as for theft, assure them you'll keep it with you. I've had it for a year, taken it all over campus, and haven't had problems... yet. :rolleyes:

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
Assuming you're in college, don't worry to much about it being stolen. It's really about equally as risky as having your computer at the airport. And, if you're any sort of a savvy mac user, there will always be idiots who make their computers easier to steal than yours (walking away, etc.). These people are almost always females.

jakochampolska

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2005
ahh since your only in high school keep an eye on it! I go to high school and wouldnt dare to take my pb with me, I've been pretty scared to take my ipod (well now after chirstmas I'm not that scared because now like everyone has one) to school. Just look out for it! And dont leave it in your locker because I know mine gets hacked all the time haha

Sathos

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2005
Alberta, Canada
As was mentioned before, watch it like a hawk. In a high school environment, I would be afraid to take my eyes off something so valuable for even a second. It's unbelievable how brutal the whole theft thing is; and yet it's not even as bad as I recall junior high being :eek:

LACOSTE

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2006
Australia
High school mac essentials eh

FOR your ibook you definitely need these:

1. MS Office theres a 50% discount if u buy ur mac now!

2. Crumpler bags.... definitely get a backpack version ... see the bag called salary sacrifice @ http://www.crumpler.com.au (famous aussie brand... u have it in america too i think).
OR get the crumpler zip-up sleeves, they are pricy but looks great, and u can throw ur iBook in any bag, well concealed and protected.

3. get a good MACOSX hints book, or peruse the web to get timesaving and fun tips on using apple products.

4. Get and iPod lol... u can say it keeps u organised (calendar and all) nano would be fine.

5. Impress ur parents or whoever would "fund" your buying escapades by promising to do a video, photo presentation and or photo-album prints. They'd love u for it :).

6. Still buy pen and paper, for high school you cant do proper MATH homework on your laptop! lol. The notebook feature on MS WORD is a little over the top when taking notes in class really, depending on how rich your school is... probably everybody has a mac.

7. If money is tight, OPENOFFICE is an alternative to MSOFFICE... coz its free. But beware, if u need to do intensive excel stuff, OPENOFICE is not that great. YOu can edit MSWORD on OPENOFFICE.

8. Many might not consider OMNIGRAFFLE as essential but i do. http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnigraffle/. This is a concept mapping program, very useful in the sciences: biology, chemistry, physics. It is very easy to use, and you can guarantee yourself an A+ everytime you summarise certain concepts into diagrams for your book reports or whatever.

HOPE these helps.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
A great little program I found is called SideNote. I take my mouse to the left side and I can add notes into this drawer sliding program. Just click the + icon and start typing. It won't outline it like OmniGraffle, but it is freeware. Just a thought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.