Bringing Macbook Pro to Germany (HELP!)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MaliciousDesign, Sep 3, 2008.

1. MaliciousDesign macrumors member

Hi, I was wondernig if the macbook pro, (santa rosa chipset) is able to handle European wattage...which I believe is 210 as compared to American wattage? I don't want to being to charge my computer and than have it fried!

Thanks for your help!

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, of course you can bring it to Europe and of course it will be able to handle European wattage. Just make sure that you have the correct European adaptor and plug/socket (you can get world wide adaptors and sockets/plugs at Apple stores, electrical outlets, and airports).

I travel quite a bit, and, as the Ireland/UK norms are different to those of continental Europe, I always carry the different adaptors and plug/sockets in my suitcase. I have travelled with laptops, radios, iPods without any problem. Cheers and good luck

3. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I thought this was going to be another one of those threads about avoiding taxes. :D And yes, your notebook will not blow up on you. Head over to Best Buy. They have what you're looking for.

4. igmolinav macrumors 65816

Hi,

I spent a year and half in Germany with my ibook without any problems. Macs handle 110 and 220 W. The ipods too.

The only difference between countries, (I think) are the keyboard layout. If you are in the U.S. they sell the standard american keyboard and the spanish keyboard. If I were you, I would ask either at best buy or at an apple store for the keyboard for spanish speakers. Besides this letter "ñ" that you may not need, it is somewhat easier to write the "Umlaut" for letters like: "ä, ö, ü" and also the "ç" in case you may need it as well. Of course one can do some adaptations for the "ß".

I hope this helps a bit, kind regards,

igmolinav.

P.S. Wenn ich weiter hilfen kann, bitte schreib mir eine e-mail an: igmolinav@yahoo.de

5. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

I don't think the OP had any concern with international character (I'm not being sarcastic). The voltage difference is handled by the power adapter which can accept between 110 and 220.

As for the international characters, ñ is rarely used like you said, except maybe Spanish. The rest can be obtained using the Option key + another key. An even easier solution is to use US-International keyboard layout from Rainer Brokerhoff http://www.brockerhoff.net/usi/ which mimics the US-International keyboard available on Windows.

6. igmolinav macrumors 65816

Hi,

In my view, the OP had a to do with the possible operative setbacks, (if you will), of buying things at one country and using them at another one. As posted, malicious design brought up his/her concern with the wattage.

I brought up the topic with the keyboard because for many people the keyboard is one of the most relevant features in a computer. I use my ibook mainly to write. I also speak spanish and I remember a few years ago when I was working with PC's in a spanish speaking country where the keyboards only had the american layout. It was a bit unpractical because one had to go and work out with a program that showed other international characters. Back then, only keyboards with the american layout were available.

When I bought my ibook, it was so cool, (at least for me), to see that they had a keyboard choice for people who also spoke spanish. That is pretty much the canadian keyboard, just a bit modified, (it includes the "ç").

Even in Switzerland, where most people speak German, the keyboard is slightly different to the german keyboard to allow for differences for the french and italian speakers that are part of the country. The spanish speaking keyboard has several practical and useful features already onto it which I feel comfortable to use everytime I write in German. If malicious design speaks french or wants to sell the keyboard to a french-speaking fellow in Germany in a few years, the spanish keyboard has barely no difference to the french one.

I hope this helps, kind regards,

igmolinav

7. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand that a keyboard is one of the most relevant component in a computer. I don't write Spanish, but I do write a lot of French, and the first I do when I setup a new computer, regardless of the OS, is to install US-International keyboard layout, or at least find an easy way to write accentuated characters.

The reason why I said that I did not think keyboard layout was a major concern for the author was because we don't have enough information from the author. The author could well be on vacation for a few weeks in Germany, or could be there for work. However, we don't know for sure for lack of information.

8. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

All Apple adapters (infact majority of Major Brands' adapters) can handle the universal 110V to 220V supplies!

9. MaliciousDesign thread starter macrumors member

Hey all, I don't know how to delete this excess post. If someone can that'd be great.

10. MaliciousDesign thread starter macrumors member

Hey all,

Thanks so much for the help!! To give you a little bit more information about "the author," I relish that name, I am staying in Germany for the next 2-3 years on business. I don't speak any German, yet, (so Igmolinov could you translate this for me: P.S. Wenn ich weiter hilfen kann, bitte schreib mir eine e-mail an: igmolinav@yahoo.de), but I do speak some Spanish and Portuguese.

Thanks for the suggesstions on the keyboard, you all are a great help.

-Eddy

11. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

igmolinav: I stand corrected. MaliciousDesign is not going to Germany just for a few days, and does write in Spanish and Portuguese.

12. igmolinav macrumors 65816

Hi,

Enjoy your time in Germany. If it helps, for service, in case there is an issue with your computer, the major reseller and service provider is Gravis.

Their website is:

www.gravis.de/

There should be a Gravis near you.

What I wrote means: "If I can be of further help,please let me know".

Best regards to all,

igmolinav

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The term you mean is voltage and yes it will work as long as the adapter says so.