Bringing Music into Itunes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by samuraix98, Dec 26, 2008.

1. samuraix98 macrumors newbie

Hello again,

still being rather new to the Mac game recently getting one for school and owning my own im getting a hang of the tips and tricks needed to fully utilize this awesome machine. Using one for projects and one for pleasure are two different worlds for me. CS4 i know like the back of my hand, Itunes im clueless since ive been using Windows Media Player for ages now.

Heres the problem then. i have Tons of songs and recently got an ipod for christmas (my first). How can i take all of my wma files which are mostly all of my songs and make them noticeable by itunes and then my ipod? ive read a few forums and most say drag and drop which obviously doesn't work. ive also tried the settings for different transcoders and thats not really making much sense for me either. maybe im doing something wrong or going about it the wrong way.

anyways if anyone has some ideas, or a least could lead me to the direction or location as to where i may find the answer i would extremely appreciate that.

thanks.

2. aviationalyours macrumors member

aviationalyours

Umm.. did you try Cmd+O?

Conrags on your new nano, got mine a few weeks ago.

Did you try clicking file and then open file or just clicking Cmd+O?

If it works go to your iTunes settings and under "importing" change the transcoder settings to MP3. After you import each file immediately right click on it and say convert to MP3. Then keep the new one and delete the old one. This keeps everything in the iTunes folder organized and in one format (speeds up your iPod). Then you can keep the original or delete it.

CS4 is one awesome piece of work.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Just to clarify: NO VERSION of iTunes on the Mac has ever transcoded WMA files into MP3 or AAC or any other format, played WMA, or had anything else to do with WMA.

In order to use WMA's, you'll have to convert them. It doesn't matter whether you convert them on a Mac or a PC. You can use MP3 (most compatible with a wide variety of devices) or AAC (higher quality at a given bitrate than MP3), but you cannot use iTunes on OS X to do it.

If you want to do it on OS X, you can use EasyWMA. See here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=540363&highlight=wma+mac

4. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Or if you happen to have a Windows pc lying around, iTunes for Windows will convert .wma files for you.

Or even a Windows partition/virtual machine, and then just move the files over.

5. samuraix98 thread starter macrumors newbie

as previously stated that little cmd O trick doesn't work.
    yes i do have a few pc machines laying around that well are not really up to par for really anything other than browsing the net at this moment. getting itunes on them really will just be a hassle.

im going to go ahead and try this converter program and see how that goes.

congrats on your new ipod as well.

thanks