bringing my iphone 4S overseas.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Bigdbadboy, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Bigdbadboy macrumors newbie

Have an Iphone 4S with ATT. will be travelling to Asia pretty soon. can my contacts in the US contact me with FACETIME? second what charges will they incur and what charges will I incur while doing this.

2. Nam Pla macrumors member

Get it unlocked and use a local sim card from wherever it is you're going to. Or I'd imagine you'll pay big time roaming fees.

I think there are some countries where FT is not available, but not sure. Apple website probably has info on that. Also if you don't already have it, the Skype app is a good alternative to have on the phone. All you need is wifi.

3. Bigdbadboy thread starter macrumors newbie

i guess i need to clarify. i dont intend to use my iphone in asia to call or txt local (over there ) phones. I need it to keep in touch with my US contacts through Facetime. the reason being is that it will be a US to US number transaction through wifi. so i am assuming there will be no roaming charges. at least this is what I hear from other forums. need somebody who has tried using facetime (both US numbers) but one of the phones is abroad.

Now for local use (abroad) i have a separate phone which i use with a local sim card.