bringing my old pb g4 back to life.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hypermaster, Jun 25, 2008.

1. hypermaster macrumors newbie

i finally removed my old pb g4 frm some old top shelf,as i needed a basic laptop in my office.

specs....
    pb g4 1.1ghz
    256mb ram
    15''
    60gb
    battery is ****..need to remove the battery and plug in to the mains for it to start up
    no wifi
    bluetooth is working
    running 10.3.9

my problem.....
    i have a dlink pcmcia wifi card..it detects it and an icon appears but cant start the card

i have a dlink usb wifi as well..it does not even powerup in either of the usb's.

my 1gb pendrive works, but 8gb does not even power up.

what i intend on doing....
    upgrading ram to max

getting wifi working with pcmcia or usb

upgrading os

running windows xp

my questions/help needed......
    1.can i upgrade to leopard?
    2. where can i get drivers for dlink pcmcia wifi card
    3.can i run windows xp..how fast will it be [i use vmware
    on my mb with 2gb and its perfect]
    4. can anyone suggest the cheapest online place to buy a replacement battery.

i am ready to experiment with any new software /method...i got nithing to lose....

any suggestions / experimentations will do...
    thanks in advance

2. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Sell it for $400 and buy a refurbed MB for $949. The money that you are going to spend on RAM, WiFi, OS and such will almost equal that of a new MB.

Save yourself the headache and get a computer that will last.

3. dtklamf macrumors regular

yeah.but sometime going from powerbook to macbook is like chalk and cheese.
    i'm considering going back to the powerbook actually.

4. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

How do you mean?

5. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

I have to admit that I feel kinda pissed at the thread. A 1 ghz powerbook is my main machine, not some backup just for fun project! :mad: :p ;)

6. Klaxons2012 macrumors regular

I'm an old Powerbook G4 head and let me tell you, for the tasks you're about to undergo, you might as well get the macbook. You're going to be pouring a few hundred into a machine you'll eventually have to replace anyway. Unless you don't have the extra money to buy new or refurb at the moment, I think it would be wise to just buy the Macbook.

The resolution is so good on the Macbook, you won't feel like you got suckered into a cheap machine.

7. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Running XP (VirtualPC) on a 1.25 Ghz / 1.5 GB / Powerbook G4 was too slow for me.

I would also suggest getting a refurb MacBook

8. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

UM, you can't (natively) run windows on a powerbook as it uses powerpc chips, not intel. No chance unless maybe you buy an old copy of microsoft virtual pc for mac someware. But I have a feeling that would be almost prohibitively slow on your machine.

9. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Boooooyaaaahhhhhhhhh!

10. Deej macrumors regular

I *really* wouldn't run Windows XP under Virtual PC - it's so slow it's almost unuseable.

It's not like Parallels / VMWare on Intel Macs which is a virtualisation layer. Virtual PC is an emulator, which means that it has to translate everything for the G4 CPU, which is why it's so slow.

11. operator207 macrumors 6502

+1 to this, though he will need a battery too, that just about puts him in the range, if not past it.

OP: Get a MB, even if its refurb, you will have so much more than that PB will give you. I have a PB 1.67 it has a bad logic board. I was going to replace the board, but it will cost almost as much as a refurb MB. You have just about as much to spend to get that thing ready as I do.