Bringing Old MOTU Performer Files to Something Else?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by txa1265, Jan 17, 2014.

1. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

OK, so I love making music on the iPad, and that is most of what I am doing now ... but I have a whole catalog of old MIDI files from MOTU Performer that I would like to access. I upgraded Performer to Digital Performer version 3 or so, but it is not an Intel-supported version ... nor do I have a PPC Mac any more.

And the thought of doing an upgrade just to get at my files ($195) doesn't seem like a great plan - but I might do either that or grab the demo for 30-days to export MIDI data.

The question - does anyone know if there is a different way? Some utility or something else to read files between DAWs?

Thanks!

2. txa1265 thread starter macrumors 6502a

txa1265

Well ... here is where I landed:
    - Downloaded the 30 day Digital Performer demo
    - Started opening files one-by-one and exporting them to MIDI files. (fortunately these are almost entirely MIDI-only, and very few use 'chunks' or 'songs' or other funky MOTU-specific things)
    - Opened Garageband and started importing and tweaking the files.
    - Sent them to my iPad ... and discovered that Mac->iPad doesn't work ... you have to start on iPad. Created a file on my iPad to use for importing.
    - Found out my garageband wasn't properly updating, so I had to uninstall and re-download & install ... ugh.
    - Tried again!

So now I have a (laborious but functional) process to get my songs from Performer into Garageband in a way I can play with them on Mac or iPad. And I still have 20+ days to get the rest of them done! :)