Brisbane or Melbourne for one night?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yg17, Jan 4, 2015.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm in the early stages of planning a trip to Australia and New Zealand - spending about a week in Sydney and a few days in Auckland.

I'm looking at flights, and the cheapest option seems to be Qantas all the way (and legs on AA within the US). My original thought was fly to Australia, then hop over to New Zealand, and then fly back home form there. However, Qantas doesn't fly from AKL to the states direct, and neither do their codeshare partners, and I can't seem to get any online travel agencies to book me on Air New Zealand for the return leg, negating an extra stop. So, it seems I'm stuck with something like this:

STL-LAX-SYD
    SYD-AKL
    AKL-??? (somewhere in AU)-LAX-STL

On the way home, it seems silly to fly west, only to change planes and fly back east, but if I have to, I'm going to make the most of it and spend a night in whichever city I'd have to connect in. Looks like my choices are Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne since Qantas flies to LAX from all of those. Well, by that time, SYD will have been crossed off my bucket list leaving BNE and MEL. So, between those two cities, which one is the best to spend one day/night in? Thanks!

2. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

One night?

Melbourne.

Actually, any number of nights the answer would still be the same.

4. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Thanks.

My second question is, is it worth going to Sydney and Auckland around the first and second week of September? I know it's the end of winter there, but from what I'm reading, winters are mild. It's currently 4F (-16C) here in STL, so I could handle temps in the 50s and 60s.

5. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Winter is actually really nice in Sydney. Low temperatures but still nice sunny days mostly. Early September will probably be 19-22 degrees Celsius. You won't be jumping in the sea but it's still a great time to see Sydney.

6. sliceoftoast macrumors 6502

sliceoftoast

Brisbane if you want to visit all the theme and water parks.

No wait thats Surfers Paradise :(

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Way warmer but Sydney can be pretty fickle in the winter. It might not be properly cold but there's always a chance of wind and rain. That said, there's always a chance it could be upwards of 30°C too, Spring is really funny here. Definitely do it though, why on earth not.

Dunno about Auckland, probably similar but a bit cooler.

8. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Actually, forget Auckland. If you're going to New Zealand in September, go to Queenstown. It'll be snowing. It's an awesome part of the world.

9. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Thanks, now I know to steer clear of Queenstown ;)

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Melbourne.

If you can't make Sunshine Coast or Gold Coast, then definitely do Melbourne, as Brisbane, as already mentioned, is kinda boring.

With Melbourne, you'll have a TON to do and see, especially depending on the time of year that you are there. Do you have a timeframe in mind?

BL.