Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released all eight episodes of "heartfelt" and "hilarious" British comedy series "Trying," on its Apple TV+ streaming video entertainment service.

200119_Apple_new_comedy_Trying_post_16_9.jpg.large_2x.jpg

Apple describes the brand new series as follows:
"All Jason and Nikki want is a baby. But it's the one thing they just can't have. Starring Rafe Spall and Esther Smith, "Trying" is a new comedy series about growing up, settling down and finding someone to love.
The series, made by BBC Studios, is written by former stand-up Andy Wolton, and is the first original series from the U.K. to debut on Apple TV+. Apple's trailer description offers more detail:
All Nikki (Esther Smith) and Jason (Rafe Spall) want is a baby--but it's the one thing they just can't have. How are they going to fill the next 50 years if they can't start a family? They already went through The Sopranos in a weekend. After ruling out every other option, Nikki and Jason decide to adopt and are confronted by a world of bewildering new challenges. With their dysfunctional friends, screwball family, and chaotic lives, will the adoption panel agree that they're ready to be parents?
?Apple TV?+ is priced at $4.99 per month or free for a year for those who recently purchased an iPhone, iPad, Mac, iPod touch, or ?Apple TV?.

Article Link: Brit Comedy Series 'Trying' Arrives on Apple TV+

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
8 episodes. Is this the new normal with shows made direct for streaming? It’s hard for me to get into shows that only have 1 or 2 seasons and a season is 8 episodes or less.

Reactions: SBlue1 and d5aqoëp

AngerDanger

macrumors 603
Dec 9, 2008
Looks american with English accents. Where's the wit? Where's the edge?
It was probably all used up by the masterpiece that is Mrs. Brown's Boys. ;)

I've said it before, but it looks like a fine Britcom edited to look like a trailer for a Hallmark movie.

decypher44

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
Not too promising when the only “glowing” review so far is from appleinsider. From the others, it sounds like it’s a plate full of beige. That’s also the feeling I got from the trailer.

Why is ATV+ having such a difficult time with this? Even the properties that were supposed to be a guaranteed hit (eg Amazing Stories) are flops.

I have my free year when I bought an iPad Pro. I also had that free week trial toward the beginning of the service. After sampling various programs, it just sits there. I will say that we did really love Mythic Quest, and somewhat ‘enjoyed’ For All Mankind (which I was expecting to love since it’s from RDM, but alas).

I really don’t know why they’re having such a difficult time with this. At least it’s free with purchase.

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
8 episodes. Is this the new normal with shows made direct for streaming? It’s hard for me to get into shows that only have 1 or 2 seasons and a season is 8 episodes or less.
Not familiar with British television, are you? 6~8 episode seasons (or "series", as they say) are how they've always done things. But as for streaming, short seasons are catching on in America because they don't need to pad-out an entire broadcast season now. That whole rigid broadcast structure, with fall premieres and summer filler, has been cast out the window.

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
A full page of comments nearly covered with abysmal "reviews" from people who haven't bothered to watch anything besides the trailer (if that). The first comment was very prophetic. But it's sad some users on this forum have become so predictable.

I will write a proper post here once I finish a few episodes and make my own determination on the humor and quality.
[automerge]1588342067[/automerge]
Not too promising when the only “glowing” review so far is from appleinsider. From the others, it sounds like it’s a plate full of beige. That’s also the feeling I got from the trailer.

Why is ATV+ having such a difficult time with this? Even the properties that were supposed to be a guaranteed hit (eg Amazing Stories) are flops.
Might I direct you to a 9/10 from Paste.com review: https://www.pastemagazine.com/tv/apple-tv-plus/trying-review/

Amazing Stories was never a "guaranteed hit." And I love using an example of one of the two Apple TV+ flops to make an "even" point. Home Before Dark, Home, Defending Jacob, Mythic Quest, Little America, and Servant all released in 2020 and have been anything but flops. Defending Jacob has tens of thousands of retweets and likes on Twitter, for example. And the shows I listed above already have dedicated fanbases and are very popular by both critics and viewers.

Last edited:

ericwn

macrumors G3
Apr 24, 2016
A full page of comments nearly covered with abysmal "reviews" from people who haven't bothered to watch anything besides the trailer (if that). The first comment was very prophetic. But it's sad some users on this forum have become so predictable.

I will write a proper post here once I finish a few episodes and make my own determination on the humor and quality.

Might I direct you to a 9/10 from Paste.com review: https://www.pastemagazine.com/tv/apple-tv-plus/trying-review/

Amazing Stories was never a "guaranteed hit." And I love using an example of one of the two Apple TV+ flops to make an "even" point. Home Before Dark, Home, Defending Jacob, Mythic Quest, Little America, and Servant all released in 2020 and have been anything but flops. Defending Jacob has tens of thousands of retweets and likes on Twitter, for example. And the shows I listed above already have dedicated fanbases and are very popular by both critics and viewers.

Well said. The amount of negative comments from people who haven’t even watched an episode is ridiculous.
It’s telling that people would even take the time to bash something they don’t have any personal experience with. Just move on and focus on the things you can enjoy.

decypher44

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA

You - you calling others predictable? Hahahahaha haha

And to you and others, I HAVE sat and tried to watch many of the shows. My opinion on those shows comes from watching. Anything new, which obviously can not have been seen in full yet, I’m going off of several reviews and the trailer. That’s how it works, folks.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
London, UK (Europe, Earth, Space)
As a Brit, this is well known as the 'feel good factor' syndrome of formulaic writing. The type that's been espoused endlessly by the likes of screenwriter Richard Curtis et al., which seems to be the only type of thing we offer these days, outside of the never-ending customary plethora of mostly dull cop-shop dramas, as seen on channel ITV.

This clearly fits in the average everyday sitcom level of interest. i.e. been there done that, repetitive obvious drivel.

Let me guess, story goes roughly along the lines of...

A couple apply for baby, realise family/friends are 'difficult' so need to be coached to help it along, and they have potential money issues, so while attempting in obvious ways to sort it all out, they have scenes with them laughing nonchalantly while doing everyday things (posting letters, taking walks, wondering to themselves). Get child, cry a bit, the end.

Although actor Rafe Spall is a good actor (like his father, Timothy Spall), so it's a shame he couldn't have been seen on ATV+ in something more edgy, that could command his talents better.

Last edited:

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
As a Brit, this is well known as the 'feel good factor' syndrome of formulaic writing. The type that's been espoused endlessly by the likes of screenwriter Richard Curtis et al., which seems to be the only type of thing we offer these days, outside of the near-ending customary plethora of cop-shop dramas.

This clearly fits in the average everyday sitcom level of interest. i.e. been there done that, repetitive obvious drivel.

Let me guess, story goes roughly along the lines of...
A couple apply for baby, realise family/friends are 'difficult' so need to be coached to help it along, and they have potential money issues, so while attempting in obvious ways to sort it all out, they have scenes with them laughing nonchalantly while doing everyday things (posting letters, taking walks, wondering to themselves). Get child, the end.

Although actor Rafe Spall is a good actor (like his father, Timothy Spall), so it's a shame he couldn't have been seen on ATV+ in something more edgy, that could command his talents better.
Excuse me. Could you please clarify whether you watched the show? Is this a review or an impression? If the former, I'm interested. If the latter, why are you wasting our time with it?

Last edited:
Reactions: mw360

pauloregan

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2017
United Kingdom

how long do you want a comedy about trying to get pregnant to be!

personally I am tired of the huge season shows as you know they all go on past their best before date.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
London, UK (Europe, Earth, Space)
how long do you want a comedy about trying to get pregnant to be!

personally I am tired of the huge season shows as you know they all go on past their best before date.
Agree. UK series ("limited series" or "mini-series", in Netflix speak!) are normally 6-8 episodes each series, and are 1-2 series typically. As people don't have the time to watch US seasons with 400 episodic hours to get through (so the cast & crew can get paid again to repeat themselves!). Life's too short.

Another reason that movies are preferred by many, as they don't spend hours on end repeating themselves, and get to the point without repeating shots, acts, and scenes to fill-out time.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.