Brit moving to NYC - insurance help!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tejaykay, Aug 26, 2011.

1. tejaykay macrumors 6502

tejaykay

Hi All,

My girlfriend is moving to NYC for a year from Sunday (hurricane permitting!). She would like to get possessions [contents] insurance to cover her whilst there, i.e. macbook, blackberry, other possessions..

She'll be in shared accommodation, which may cause extra issues with the policy terms. I'm not sure if she'll be eligible for cover in the US, as she's a British citizen too.

Can anyone recommend a good insurer to cover your contents whilst she's in NYC. Also, if you know anything about eligibility for cover, please shout.

All feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Tim

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I don't think eligibility will be an issue. Citizenship is not a factor for insurance companies. As long as they can get your money, you're good ;)

I've had a few different types of insurance in the US without a problem and I'm not a citizen either.

I'd also recommend talking to an insurance agent that represents several companies rather than just going to an insurance company directly as the agents can compare rates for you.

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

That would be an insurance broker. He represents you, not a given company.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Renters insurance is cheap. Get a quote from 2 or 3 of the big guys- Allstate, State Farm etc.

5. tejaykay thread starter macrumors 6502

tejaykay

Thanks for the advice. Irene has delayed her trip, but I'll be sure to pass on the comments.

6. tommy227 macrumors newbie

Insurance should be easy to get, but I'm from NYC and its not as bad as you might think. I have a macbook pro and an android phone and i'm constantly going around manhattan and so far nothing.

If you really want the insurance though you should have no problem. Have fun in NYC:)