Brit shopping in USA - what would u bring back (non apple)?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by JW8725, Feb 11, 2008.

1. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

What items would you consider buying from US of A owing to dollar rate, virtually no VAT and sheer range of items?

strictly non-apple please?

2. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Anything dissing Bush is pretty hip. Bumper stickers and such.

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Nothing just for the sake of bringing it back. It's not a bargain, even at the current exchange rate, unless you actually would have spent the money back home on it.

Personally, I tend to pick up shoes and clothes while I'm in the US and the occasional suitcase to bring em home in. Use the strength of the pound to treat yourself to experiences in the cities that you're in - a flight to the Grand Canyon, a show on Broadway - that will stay with you longer than cheap items that you don't really need.

4. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

How about a bald eagle?

Or an obnoxious yellow cowboy hat that says "USA #1"?

If I was British I'd fly to New York to go high-end clothes shopping. Everything will be half of what you'd pay for it in Knightsbridge.

5. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Definitely. Also applies to life in general.

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Zune.

:p

Sound advice above of course. You may like to look for companies with products which interest you which started up over there. e.g. NYC's Jack Spade for casual luggage to go with your Mac.

7. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Want a challenge???

Try finding something MADE in America! That should keep you busy for a while... :D

8. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

you could buy some of your UK produced scotch.....when I was in Scotland last fall I figured I would buy a bottle or two of a nice single malt to bring home but it turned out that it was actually cheaper to buy it here in Los Angeles

9. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

From what I've noticed Europeans always buy...

Clothes- especially Jeans. They like Abercrombie and Fitch a lot for some reason. I was just in there the other day and some elder germans were obviously trying to pick out clothes for their son.

My dad always has people from Germany in and they buy video games a lot. Bisquick is apparently quite popular (the pancake mix).

10. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

Cuban Cigars....oh wait. :D

Seriously though, if you like beer try some microbrews

11. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

The American flag isn't even made in the US. It's made in China.

*shakes head in disappointment*

12. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Lucky Charms!

Seriously, the only thing I bring back from the US when I go is food that I like and isn't available in the UK

13. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I agree, if you need to think about what to buy, then you probably just don't need anything. Save your money for experiences.

I second benlee's suggestion for beer. If you're in a modestly large city at all (and at least 21, of course), seek out local microbreweries. We're undergoing something of a beer renaissance over here, and you can find a level of experimentalism here that makes European brewing seem a bit hidebound by comparison. Hope you like hops.

14. 156457 macrumors 6502

PLEASE let me do Apple.
    iPod Nano, shuffle and 32gb iPod Touch and a MacBook.

Sorry :(

I'd bring back them really nice sweets they have over there... I don't know which I just know they have nice sweets.

15. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I think the real question here is what should an American bring back from Britain.

Londoners might have their pick of goods in NYC due to the strong pound to dollar conversion, but what's a poor sap vacationing in England going to take home as a souvenir?

16. bvonarx macrumors newbie

17. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    Not sure about what to bring back.

Of course, if you're in NY, you could always get some pizza. Never had any myself, but I'm told it's the finest and best that can be had.

How about... *scratches head*

A ruler in Inches?

An American-made American product, other than cigarettes. (Oh, wait, that's a trick question. Never mind.)

A truck-load of illegal immigrants? (Actually, we'll give you those for free.)

A copy of the Declaration of Independence? (Ooh... that was mean. *slaps hand*)

You know, now that I think about it, I'm not sure what's really "Authentic American" anymore. We import so much stuff, I sometimes think we're losing our own sense of self over here.

18. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

United is charging for a second checked bag - imagine that you'll have to pay to get that back to the UK!

19. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

Democracy. And don't try to convince me you already have that.

20. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

21. 156457 macrumors 6502

is that food? they look well nice, send me some!!

22. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

I was told that they don't have peanut butter in France, is that the same in UK?

23. timsutcliffe macrumors 6502

American Eagle

Not sure what you're into, but always enjoy American Eagle (clothes shop) when i'm over the pond. Someone needs to introduce it over here.

24. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

Basically a copy of the Declaration of Arbroath - you guys nicked it from Scotland!

No we don't, we live in a modern parliamentary constitutional monarchy! (i.e. unelected people in power because of who their ancestors were have the power of veto over democratically elected members.)

Anyway, proper answer is buy shoes. I found that Cat boots and trainers were about 50% cheaper than back home.

Golf clubs too are a bargain, get them custom fitted if you can.