British Dictionary / How to get Thesauras?

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
Hi All,

Two somewhat related issues.

How can I get my Dictionary to use British spellings?

How on earth do I get to the Thesaurus in Dictionary?

Help!!!!

iVersa

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2006
London, UK
I just simply opened up dictionary, went to preferences and it was there. Could you not at least have tried that before posting?

Once youve entered your word, scroll down - its a thesaurus too.

;)

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
iVersa said:
I just simply opened up dictionary, went to preferences and it was there. Could you not at least have tried that before posting?

Once youve entered your word, scroll down - its a thesaurus too.

;)
LOL. Of course I tried that. I have selected that, but my dictionaries are both American (even the Oxford) and my Cocao-driven documents all see British spellings as incorrect. It is making me crazy.

powerdave

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2004
Hamburg
What about the general dictionary that spellchecks applications like iChat (or Adium) and other things like that? I'm tired of things being underlined in red! All my regional prefs are set for my language and region.

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
powerdave said:
What about the general dictionary that spellchecks applications like iChat (or Adium) and other things like that? I'm tired of things being underlined in red! All my regional prefs are set for my language and region.
You should be able to set a system-wide language preference from within any application that has spell-check capabilities. Go to Edit > Spelling and use the drop-down menu to select British English.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
Brize said:
You should be able to set a system-wide language preference from within any application that has spell-check capabilities. Go to Edit > Spelling and use the drop-down menu to select British English.
Can anyone suggest such a program? I have tried Pages, TextEdit, Word and Mail with no luck.

EDIT: Scratch that. I was looking in preferences. When I actually decided to READ your helpful post, I got it all sorted. Many thanks.

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
Go to any application that has Spelling under the Edit menu. Select Spelling... In the dialog box that comes up there is a drop down menu at the bottom labeled Dictionary. Select whatever version of English you prefer from here. The change will show up everywhere. Best wishes.