British keyboard issue - OS X Lion

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by b00thy, Jul 30, 2011.

1. b00thy macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I have this niggling problem which I cannot appear to solve myself, the " and @ keys have swapped places. It would appear my keyboard is setup for US rather than British. I have also noticed if I press the \ key and get § symbol instead? Admittedly I am new to all things Mac and would have this solved in seconds in Linux or Windows so I guess it will be something very simple here too. Things i've already checked....

1. Language is set to English
    2. Input Source, British is ticked and I have the UK flag in menu bar

I am not using a Apple keyboard, but a Logitech G15 which appears to be setup ok.

I am using a Mac Mini with Lion OS X.

Any help on this would be great. Thanks.

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Apple UK layout keyboards have some keys in a different position to UK Windows keyboards as you have discovered....The keyboard layout is similar but not the same as US layout.

Although you have set it to UK layout it still expects to find the @ symbol in the 2 position. It is on an Apple keyboard but not on a windows keyboard.

When the Mini was first introduced it was for switchers who could bring their own keyboard and mouse so somebody must have found a way round it.....

3. b00thy thread starter macrumors newbie

Iogana, thank-you for your reply. I did not know that there were character location differences between Apple and PC keyboards. I guess then I do have everything setup correctly just need a Apple keyboard. Cheers!