Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
...something the UK government will eventually find out when the riots start, as they inevitably will.

Ooh! Ooh! Where do we sign up? [I need a suitably 'evil' looking smiley to fill this space.]

DigiCatRedux

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2008
Somewhere in New England, USA.
Well, all I'm trying to say is that in my own little opinion, I do believe somebody who performs a hack in other countries military databases - or financial or corporate - should be sent to that country to face charges.
Don't really care whether their American, British, or from Nigeria.

Bear in mind- this is a bit different than being sent to some third-world prison while traveling, because you broke some obscure local law you and your traveling companions were not aware of - or because the "law enforcement" is crooked. No- this type of crime requires a deliberate thought-process of what your purposely trying to accomplish - that it's illegal to do pretty much anywhere, and if you have half a brain - a realization that being caught is going to land you in very hot-water.
Sorry, but not much sympathy here.

As far as the chest-beating about how great British cyber-security is, compared to America & the rest of the world - I'd prefer not to get into a pissing-contest, just realize that computer crimes are prevalent everywhere.
And no country is immune.
Refresher?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/21/phantoms_and_rogues/

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/technology/article533880.ece

Granted, not everybody is pleased with how the U.S. government conducts itself all the time - myself currently included... but I think working together on issues such as this - when extradition is warranted and how to improve security by sharing information, is a better plan than just pulling away from one another & dropping diplomatic relations all together.

I'll agree, A lot needs to change for the better.
Regardless - everyone is still at risk, in both military or civilian arenas, no matter where you hail from.

It was a sad day on July 7, 2005 - I genuinely was concerned for all my friends living in England, and it's things like that which brought me closer to our neighbors across the Pond - rather than trying to assess blame & argue politics, I was thinking about how everyone needs to work together to make this lovely little blue ball we inhabit, a better place.

I only bring this up, because a coordinated target attack on a countries military or financial infrastructure through computer terrorism could have dire consequences to the populace on many levels. That, and my friendships extend across many borders.

So I'll leave it at that, then. I think this horse has been flogged enough.
been fun though - always interesting to get another viewpoint on the subject at hand.

remmy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Believe me, Britain's banks don't leave the doors and windows wide open and invite hackers in like the US military does. They actually pay attention to network security, something the US government doesn't want to bother with.

And in answer to your other point, if the UK secret services or military were hacked by an American your government would laugh in the face of any request for extradition, just as it did when the UK government asked for information regarding the illegal killing of UK servicemen by American airmen in Iraq.

As time goes on I'm more convinced we need to pull away from the USA. The idea of the future being put forward by it isn't in tune with British values, something the UK government will eventually find out when the riots start, as they inevitably will.

You would be surprised how long the list of times the US has screwed over the UK in dodgy deals or going back on its word. Have you ever read the book "You are Here" by Bremner Bird and Fortune?

And yet they go back for more. As much as I sometimes dislike the EU I think its the better of the two evils.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
As far as the chest-beating about how great British cyber-security is, compared to America & the rest of the world....
Who exactly is chest beating? The comparison was made between the US military systems, which are accepted by pretty much the entire worldwide computer security industry as weak and easy to hack, and the British banking system, which isn't. The British MOD may well be as insecure as the US Army for all I know, but our banks most certainly are not.

You would be surprised how long the list of times the US has screwed over the UK in dodgy deals or going back on its word. Have you ever read the book "You are Here" by Bremner Bird and Fortune?

And yet they go back for more. As much as I sometimes dislike the EU I think its the better of the two evils.
We shouldn't feel singled out. US business screws everybody, even supposed friends. The "win at all costs" mentality is heavily rewarded in the USA. You can see it in the politics, the commerce, the sports, even the entertainment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.