Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xtwentyseven

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
Dallas, TX
I like the British accent and would like to have my Siri be British. Can anyone in the UK screen record themselves using the updated Siri female voice (assuming the British version was updated) and post it for us to listen to? I say screen record because several videos I've seen just pick up the sound from the speaker and you can't really get a good listen.

FurbyUK

Suspended
Jul 9, 2016
Up North
I like the British accent and would like to have my Siri be British. Can anyone in the UK screen record themselves using the updated Siri female voice (assuming the British version was updated) and post it for us to listen to? I say screen record because several videos I've seen just pick up the sound from the speaker and you can't really get a good listen.

Screen record uses the microphone as well. Additionally, the microphone stops recording when you use Siri and only starts once you close Siri, so you cannot use it to capture any audio.

Attachments

• IMG_4E86AF9B9A2E-1.jpeg
    IMG_4E86AF9B9A2E-1.jpeg
    711.7 KB · Views: 208

Speedman100

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2013
I was using the British male voice for Siri. I don’t believe it seemed any different at all. So maybe only the American voice is improved.

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
I was using the British male voice for Siri. I don’t believe it seemed any different at all. So maybe only the American voice is improved.

This happened the last time Siri's voices were updated too. The new British versions were added later than the US ones.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
That's a bummer. I also use the british female voice (the US voice annoys me). I assumed all voices were updated, but it makes sense only american english.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
I'm amazed how many Americans choose to use the British voices - with each being tuned to different dialects, I'm surprised it doesn't cause misunderstanding issues.

Although we speak a similar language, there's so many differences.

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
I'm amazed how many Americans choose to use the British voices - with each being tuned to different dialects, I'm surprised it doesn't cause misunderstanding issues.

They separated those functions awhile back at least for English. You can set the language for siri to understand to English (USA), but set the voice to American, Australian, or British.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Been using the British Siri since it was out. Not a fan of the American Siri. She has not been updated. Even though the new American Siri sounds much better than previous. I have been tempted. She just seems condescending to me.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.

Girl's with a British accent sound hot. Australian too to a certain extent, but British sounds cleaner.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the listening and speaking part are separated, so no interference. Boy would that be a nightmare lol

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

xtwentyseven

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
Dallas, TX
Girl's with a British accent sound hot. Australian too to a certain extent, but British sounds cleaner.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the listening and speaking part are separated, so no interference. Boy would that be a nightmare lol

I had the British female voice, but she sounded a bit snobby. Went back to American Alex. His voice is pretty natural. Sounds like he's now the new American male Siri voice. I don't care for the female Siri's northern accent. Maybe the update will make it better.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
I had the British female voice, but she sounded a bit snobby. Went back to American Alex. His voice is pretty natural. Sounds like he's now the new American male Siri voice. I don't care for the female Siri's northern accent. Maybe the update will make it better.

New female Siri sounds snooty to me. Definitely much more natural sounding, but I'm sticking with British. Anyway if you want to have a crisp AI experience you have to go British (think James Bond). If you want more of a speaking with a friend experience, then USA Siri is fine :p

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
They separated those functions awhile back at least for English. You can set the language for siri to understand to English (USA), but set the voice to American, Australian, or British.

Oh really I was unaware of that, cheers.
[doublepost=1497144425][/doublepost]

:)

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012

I was delayed updating to iOS 11 due to an issue that prevented me from moving.

Now that I am actively using it, I feel that the latest Siri voice is less natural sounding to my ears than the iOS 10 version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.