British UK English Dictionary on Mac OS X Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheLondoner, May 24, 2011.

1. TheLondoner, May 24, 2011
    Last edited: May 28, 2011

TheLondoner macrumors newbie

I spent 3 years trying to get my computer to stop AmericaniZing everything. It nearly drove me crazy, but today I found a way to get it to UK English and thought I'd share it with everyone to save you the suffering! This works for my MacbookPro on OS X Leopard. Should work for everyone with this OS in the least. :)

Do the following:

1) Go to TextEdit->Spelling & Grammar -> Show Spelling and Grammar - > Scroll to British English in the option at the bottom. Then close it!

You can check it in MS Word and mail and it should be fine.

2) Go to System Preferences -> International->Language tab (should be on this by default) ->Edit List-> Tick the British English option -> Click OK. Then move British English to the top of the list on the left and remove the normal "English" option to be safe.

It will prompt you to log out and in again.

You are done!

Congratulations on converting to PROPER English, not this American crap with 'color' and 'americanize' and 'realize' and all the other crap spellings they have over the pond that drive us Brits ape ****, haha!

If anyone has any tips on how to add a 'British English Dictionary' instead of the default 'American Dictionary' in the application folder, please share your tips here.

Original source of tips: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=569225

2. sim667 macrumors 65816

You've been able to do that for ages and ages, its hardly a closely guarded secret ;)

3. TheLondoner thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe but before today i've never been able to find it (took 3 years!) :D. Hopefully with one more thread on it - less people will have to suffer with american spellings :).

4. TheSoutherner macrumors newbie

British UK English dictionary on Mac OS Leopard

Thanks to you Londoner I will never again be bothered by American English corrections when I fraternise, visualise, vocalise and so on.

Perhaps you can help with an unrelated problem.

When Thunderbird is included as a login item (System Preferences/Accounts/login items) it ignores the 'Hide' command and so opens the message window even though it should remain active but unopened in the Dock.

It is a small problem but like American English and irritant no less.

5. les24preludes macrumors member

I'm just updating this thread. I have the same problem - can't get spellcheck in UK English. I checked UK English as default language and relaunched word, also highlighted the text and applied UK English. No dice.

I suspect I don't have the UK English dictionary loaded. How can I check this and if needed download it?

Andy