Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
Hello iPad people,

Just tentatively thinking of going truly mobile using iPad Pro to replace everything. MBP, separate keyboard/mouse, display and external ssd. photo storage.

Plan would be iPad Pro plus Pen wi†h sim and BT hub. USB connection to my printer and 2xNAS connected to same hub, one for photo. storage and one for Time Machine.

At the moment editing on my 13" MBP is surprisingly good using Affinity Photo.

So will it work, what problems can anyone foresee.

Any questions answered with pleasure.

Regards. Sharkey

emembee

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Surrey,UK
Hello iPad people,

Just tentatively thinking of going truly mobile using iPad Pro to replace everything. MBP, separate keyboard/mouse, display and external ssd. photo storage.

Plan would be iPad Pro plus Pen wi†h sim and BT hub. USB connection to my printer and 2xNAS connected to same hub, one for photo. storage and one for Time Machine.

At the moment editing on my 13" MBP is surprisingly good using Affinity Photo.

So will it work, what problems can anyone foresee.

Any questions answered with pleasure.

Regards. Sharkey
Not sure of your question, do you mean to replace your MBP totally?

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
Do you have an ipad at the moment?
I ask because it uses IOS not MAC OS and there are loads of things I can't do with my ipad I can with the Macbook pro.
If you've tried it and all the programs you want to use are available then, OK, but if not, I'd look into that very carefully because I doubt they are. Even storage if you use an external drive will be a problem.

Reactions: emembee

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
Do you have an ipad at the moment?
I ask because it uses IOS not MAC OS and there are loads of things I can't do with my ipad I can with the Macbook pro.
If you've tried it and all the programs you want to use are available then, OK, but if not, I'd look into that very carefully because I doubt they are. Even storage if you use an external drive will be a problem.
also if wifi, why would you want sim?

3g/4g tablets cost more than wifi only
Not sure of your question, do you mean to replace your MBP totally?

Yes - only use the ipad.
wifi and sim so that the ipad replaces my rarely used mobile (phone).
browsing and RAW photo editing my main use.

Opinions please.

Regards. Sharkey

robotica

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2007
Edinburgh
My BT home hub 5 doesn't work very well with my Apple products.

There are numerous forum posts on the bt forums.

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
scotland

There have been a few probs. of that kind but so far the '6'hub has been fine.

But what about my question?

Regards. Sharkey

Donfor

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2016
Yes - only use the ipad.
wifi and sim so that the ipad replaces my rarely used mobile (phone).
browsing and RAW photo editing my main use.

Opinions please.

Regards. Sharkey

I pad Air +o2 sim.

Wifi via Sky Fibre.

Excellent swap for my previous late 2013 MLB pro 13"

IThough I'm just a light surfer/reading/music etc.

Think I'll enjoy a IPad upgrade every 2 years approx.

With a Bluetooth keyboard added.ipad offers home use without going MacBook upgrade route which I did enjoy until I had GB's of memory and storage of no use to me.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015

BT hubs work fine once you unlink the 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks. That option also causes issues with Macs too.

robotica

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2007
Edinburgh
BT hubs work fine once you unlink the 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks. That option also causes issues with Macs too.

That was the first thing I tried, along with disabling 5ghz, then tried disabling 2.4ghz.

Maybe my one is faulty. Everything works now as I have an older router connected up to it.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
That was the first thing I tried, along with disabling 5ghz, then tried disabling 2.4ghz.

Maybe my one is faulty. Everything works now as I have an older router connected up to it.

Possibly. I have a hub 5 (my backup broadband is fttc) and it worked fine after unlinking, I then disabled the 2.4ghz radio as everything can use 5ghz in my home now. Maybe try that too.

emembee

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Surrey,UK
Unless you have to get rid of MBP, I would suggest keeping it as backup. Cloud storage is ok but if you are out in the field not so reliable. Not sure how good photo editing is on iPad, plenty of other posts on the forum about this, but after years of using iPad (and I really like what it can do) I still find a need for a desktop o/s, some things are just too difficult to work around. Get a good demo on IPP with the software you want to use before scrapping your Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.