Broad Noise Canceling Headphones

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sukanas, May 23, 2011.

1. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

I know i can probably get better answers on headfi but this is the only tech website i have an account for so..

i currently have noise canceling headphones that cancel more of the lower frequency noise. is it possible to get cancellation for all spectrum? or is it for safety reasons?

if there are though, which would you recommend? im not an audiophille so your "bose" and "beats" are okay lol. but of course the flatter frequency, better.

2. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

From my understanding, active nose cancelling headphones create a wave that is of opposite phase to that which is being detected. This interferes destructively to cancel the wave. This only works efficiently with a wave of relatively constant phase and frequency. Higher frequency waves tend to be more variable, for example someone speaking, and are therefore not as easy to cancel out. So no, I don't think it is possible for active noise cancelling headphones to cancel out the whole spectrum. You would need something with passive cancelling.