Broadband faster but page loads slower!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by captain-rossco, Jun 30, 2009.

1. captain-rossco macrumors member

Just installed a new netgear wnr2000 router with my Virgin Media 20mb broadband.
    Broadband speed checker says i'm now getting 19000kbps down load and 750kbps upload, not bad.
    19 meg tops my last result by some 6 meg.
    However, the actual page loads are taking considerably longer than my old belkin router, any ideas as to why this is?
    I'm using safari and wpa security settings (in case it matters).

Regards
    CR

2. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Try turning of WPA? I have an old Netgear router that becomes almost unusable if WPA is on, but it's just fine with WEP. I would seriously hope a new router can handle WPA, but you never know.

Also, check latency with each router. In terminal, type 'ping google.com' without the quotes and see what times you get. Use ctrl+c to stop it. Also try pinging something close, like your ISP's home page. Generally, 20ms or less is good for an ISP home page, 50-80ms is good for a site with a geographically spread out CDN (like Google), 100-200ms is OK for a server on the same continent. Anything over 500ms will feel very slow.

3. cw2k7 macrumors member

I have heard it has some performance issues when running in WPA compatibility mode. Try running in WPA2/AES only mode and it should perform better.

4. 7031 macrumors 6502

Have you only just moved to Virgin? Because well, I've had a pretty bad experience with them and speed.

That, and if you're a new customer, it might be slow for a while while they do line testing.

Assuming you've been with them for a while, I'd guess that it's a problem with your router, maybe worth giving Virgin or whoever gave you that router a call?

5. jamesrg macrumors newbie

If you just moved to Virgin, could be a DNS issue. Try manually setting to a public DNS server. (4.2.2.2 or opendns.org).

I have UVERSE from ATT and noticed their DNS servers are slow.

6. si77hay macrumors regular

What wireless mode are you running? I have Virgin 10MB used to have the standard router that Virgin supply. I upgraded the router to the WNR2000, and it worked fine out the box. I then upped the wireless mode from 54Mbps to 145Mbps and I immediately started having poor connection speeds. Couldn't run a speed test, couldn't even watch a YouTube video. I then downed the mode back to 54Mbps and everything was fine. However, this mode back to 54Mbps kinda defeats the object of upgrading the router!