Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
Hello,

We are based in the UK and use BT infinity for our broadband which uses fibre optics cabling.

I have it and receive DL speeds of 50mb + and Upload speeds of up to 14mb and Ive never had any issues so I recommended this to my parents.

They also get the same speeds and its very fast for DL movies or updates etc but when used for general web browsing it is very sluggish i.e. pictures can sometimes take a minute to load etc.where as at my house it is pretty much instant.

We've had the engineers round to look at it and they found nothing wrong and just blamed the issues on the specific websites.

I've tried the following

New Apple Airport extreme ( made no difference)

Changed the DNS to google (made no difference)

The last tech support just tried changing SSID numbers and 2.4 to 5ghz channel settings if that makes sense? (made no difference)

But basically it is still really slow for web browsing, any idea's on how we fix it?

They are running a 2010 Macbook pro and 2008 24 inch iMac and it doesn't seem to make a difference with wired v wireless.

its incredibly frustrating and especially since I'm getting the blame for recommending the service.

Thanks

eish2306

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2013
Wales
Broadband help (BT Infinity)

I have exactly the same issue - fast download tests and streaming but websites lag

Edit
Also with by infinity 1

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
Its frustrating, what have BT said to you? I was thinking maybe its a faulty home hub but they refuse to replace and say its working fine.

I have the same infinity and even same laptop as my parents and mine is very fast!

----------

its on all websites.

i.e. news sites you have to wait a few seconds to load and sometimes can even last a minute. where as at my home on same infinity package using the same model computer its very fast/instant.

any ideas?

eish2306

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2013
Wales
It's not all the time and it's not all websites, but can change so what wasn't effected becomes slow and what was effected speeds up - also switching form the airports 2.4 and 5 normally fixed the problem for a while - just re read and I also find the same happens with wired and wireless

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
This isn't as simple as a "double NAT" situation, is it? You do have one of the routers in bridge mode, right?

No I had the Airport extreme in bridge mode and it didn't make a difference. I actually returned the Airport extreme and went back to using the providers modem/router.

Eish: Sounds like we have exactly the same issue.

Like I said this is my parents broadband i'm trouble shooting and we have exactly the same hardware and mine is super fast.

I wonder if it could be more of an issue at their Broadband exchange/cabinet...

Could anyone explain what difference changing the SSID would make to the set up? What exactly is it?

Also their macs are 2008 and 2010 models so 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ wouldn't make a difference would it?

eish2306

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2013
Wales
For extra info I have Mac Pro and min (latest gen) iPad 4 and air 2 and the all have problem - the mini is connected with Ethernet

Entropy it does sound awfully similar - I'm just dreading calling BT as I bet they ask me to turn it off and on . . . or something equally as dull like hitting it with a hammer

Have you tried swapping your box with theirs?

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
ah the dreaded indian call centres of British Telecom! i'd find the irony funny if it wasn't such hard work. My name is James and I normally have to spell that at least 3 times to them.

I think using my equipment will be my next port of call.

Im on the white modem with home hub 3/time capsule. I turn off my HH3 and just use TC for wireless.

They are on HH5 (latest one)..

Ive googled problem and found people asking but they all seem to come to an end with no solution.

I'll let you know how I get on.

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
A lot of ISPs feed web traffic through transparent proxies to save on bandwidth. I know FreeServe used to do this in the UK, and I'm pretty sure Virgin Media do it, so I really wouldn't be surprised if BT do it.

It could be that they're using different transparent proxies for different geographical areas, and the one in your area is OK, but the one in your parents' area is either overloaded or crap.

That's the only reason I can think of why everything would be fine except for images on web pages.

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
I'm not 100% saying that's what's wrong. It's just an educated guess based on my knowledge of ISPs, and what I do in my day job.

But if this is the problem, I doubt you'd be able to get them to change anything. The people in the call centres probably won't even know what a transparent proxy is.

eish2306

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2013
Wales
I'm not 100% saying that's what's wrong. It's just an educated guess based on my knowledge of ISPs, and what I do in my day job.

But if this is the problem, I doubt you'd be able to get them to change anything. The people in the call centres probably won't even know what a transparent proxy is.

Call up hi so you know what a transparent proxy is - no - your supervisor please - repeat - repeat - repeat - get put through to uk and repeat - hand up in despair

I will give it a try but as I predict above I'm not hopeful either

Any way I can do anything to fix it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.