Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4maddogs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Norfolk, UK
I upgraded to Mountain Lion in July. About the same time my broadband usage rocketed. It is the upload amounts mainly. Last month it was nearly 90GB.....I think this is impossible. :eek:
BT have checked and say it was a total of 14GB in May and 17 GB in June....prior to that it was around the same amounts as May.

Also the speeds are very erratic and very slow....about 1.2 mbs as a top speed on average. Occasionally it lapses back to the 6mbs I was getting prior to July.

We have 2 ipads, 2 iphones and apple TV connected. We cannot use the Apple TV as it just buffers and won't download a film. We can't even watch anything on Youtube.

BT are being unhelpful.
Any ideas about why things should suddenly change? It was fine before July and nothing has changed since then.
Tearing my hair out here.
Thanks
Julie

rrm998

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2012
Houston, TX USA
My first thought is that you might be syncing a bunch of data or photos to/from the iCloud. Have you checked these settings in System Preferences?

4maddogs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Norfolk, UK
I did have it set to sync photos so have turned that off. There are not that many though so I can't see that it wouls account for 80gb this month already. MB yes, but GB noway.

rrm998

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2012
Houston, TX USA
You have a number of devices -- it's not certain that the Mac is causing this. When you check the network in Activity Monitor, does it show a lot of data being uploaded? I suggest watching this for a while to see what's up. If you see network activity and you aren't doing anything, check the process list to see what's active.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.