Broadband speed on new imac is very slow

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 4maddogs, Feb 23, 2015.

1. 4maddogs macrumors newbie

I have replaced an old PC with a new (refurb) mac. Since then the broadband speed ids really slow on that mac...and on the main mac.
    The main mac is connected via ethernet and the other is via wifi.
    Any help appreciated as it is a real pain

BT no help at all

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

You have 90 days of free AppleCare telephone support when you purchase an Apple refurb Mac. Please give them a call and they can help you de-bug your problem. Coming here is not really the correct venue on a new or refurb machine.

I am assuming this is your first Mac so you may not be familiar with AppleCare. To get the phone number on your part of the planet please begin by clicking:

https://locate.apple.com/country

Good luck.

3. 4maddogs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but this is not my first mac. As I said the main mac is connected via ethernet, but is also now slow.
    I am completely Apple now. I have 2 imacs, 2 ipads and 2 iphones in the house along with an apple TV.

If I use my work Wifi I get a decent speed....just like I did a few weeks ago on my personal broadband BT line.

If I turn all wifi off on other devices I still get slow speeds. I think it must be a conflict rather than a problem with the new imac.

4. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

If your BT connection is DSL, have you checked the modem/router to see if the connect speeds have degraded?

5. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Set up a network speed test between your two Macs to eliminate that issue. If it does then it might be your router/modem or ISP.

6. 4maddogs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Steve. Would you mind posting a link on how to do that (or instructions) please?
    My speed on the older imac is now 6.8mp/s or thereabouts which is what I expect here. The newer one is currently connected to my work connection and getting similar. This seems to poinbt to a conflict between the two rather than a problem with the new mac.

7. Bl0ckHe1d macrumors 6502

Bl0ckHe1d

Could it be possible that the refurb iMac (assuming that you didn't buy it from Apple) may have a VPN set up - like Viscosity / Tunnelblk?

8. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Use ethernet whenever possible. You could also look and see how much interference there is in your home which may be causing problems.

9. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

So, to summarise. If both Macs are connected to your home line, then the broadband connection on both Macs is slow. If one is disconnected from the home line (turned off or switched to work line) then the other one runs back at the expected speed. Is that a fair summary.

If so, does it look like one Mac is doing the interference or they just interfering with each other. In other words, if you have both connected to the home line and power down Mac A, does Mac B get faster and vice versa?

You could check the IP addresses on your BT home hub while both are connected just to make completely sure they're different. Login to home hub, go to A-Z menu and then devices. Click on the device to get the ip address.

10. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Some info here:- http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-basics/31220-how-fast-is-your-network-five-ways-to-measure-network-speed

I hope you have Bootcamp. Running a test may not directly solve the problem but it's going to start pointing you in the right direction. I don't know my way around a BT home hub, but if it's got a log you could also check that for any networking error messages.

11. 4maddogs thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought it from Apple. It was an unopened item I think.

12. 4maddogs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Just checked that and all IP addresses are different.

13. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

So do they both go slow and both speed up when the other is turned off (when they're sharing a line that is)? Or is it only one of the Macs that gets affected?