Broadband Speed question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by carrollf, Apr 25, 2008.

1. carrollf macrumors regular

carrollf

I have a 12Mb cable broadband connection and it is super quick on my iMac (11755kb/sec). However, when I connect my Dell D420 laptop using an ethernet cable, I only get 1500kb/sec. Why is this when it is the same connection??

I use an Airport Extreme and the iMac is connected on 802.11n (5GhZ wireless) and the Dell is connected using a cable to one of the spare ports on the Airport

2. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

How fast is the ethernet port on the dell....? How old is the Dell?

3. Help! macrumors regular

Do you mean 12mbit? as in 1/8th of 12 mbytes? I think the WAN port on the airport is 100mbit so the wireless shouldnt be going any faster. In my apartment the wireless is always slower than the ethernet connection anyway...

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

the ethernet port (even at 10mb) wouldnt slow it down that much.

i have no idea why its going so slow, maybe the dell needs an update? or a defrag??

should all be fine and dandy but

5. carrollf thread starter macrumors regular

carrollf

Its a 1 year old D420 with 100Mbps port. I updated the drivers recently also. My only guess is that because it is a work issued laptop they may have somehow put a cap on the network speed??? Would corporations do this for any reason?

6. carrollf thread starter macrumors regular

carrollf

The other interesting thing is that my upload speed is about 4 times faster than my download speed while in work. 1500mb/sec DL vs 4500mb/sec UL. There must be something limitting the DL speed - right??

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

mb/s??? do u mean kbps??

wow sure beats my 1mb upload limit.

yea im pretty sure thered be something limiting that, on behalf of the laptop no doubt.

8. carrollf thread starter macrumors regular

carrollf

Sorry yes - meant kb/sec

how can I find what is limiting my speed? Would it be some software running or what?

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hhmm i guess you could use a program like "bandwidth monitor". i have that just chilling on my desktop. there are many other programs like it.

maybe also try going to www.speedtest.net or something similar to check the download speed via a web based check, this will tell you whether its just computer based or not.

also, check if there are any torrent programs, virus updaters, software updaters in the background. i highly doubt that there would be somehting like those but you never know.

finally check your installed software to see if there is a limiter.

and also, try running off the wireless, maybe its just an ethernet based problem?

10. carrollf thread starter macrumors regular

carrollf

Here my iMac speed result from speedtest.net

Attached Files:

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

wow u must b pretty darn close to the exchange, or u have very good quality lines.

but anyway, care to do the same on the pc lappy?

12. carrollf thread starter macrumors regular

carrollf

It appears that the problem on the laptop is down to 'Symantec Protection agent 5.1' which is running and seems to reduce my bandwidth dramatically.

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ahh so you got it fixed? good to hear