Broadband usage monitor - for time?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xanders, Jan 31, 2010.

1. xanders macrumors member

I have found many broadband monitors but all of them seem to measure data amount and not time. Could anyone point out to anything that measures the time usage of broadband (preferably free). Since my service provider has 2 ways of billing time and data. Thanks in advance.

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

What provider is this?

Broadband has always been advertised (where I live) as an 'always on' 24/7 connection, so time is not used as a metric.

But if you need to time it, your modem will have a web page which has a connection time on it's status page.

3. xanders thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the prompt reply. Where I live, India, wireless broadband plans have two options: volume based or time based. In my case I have 1800 minutes of free usage. Now how can I measure this? Where is this "page"?:confused:

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

If you're using a USB-type dongle to connect to the internet, the program/application you use to activate the connection should have a timer on it.

If you're using a router/modem to connect then the setup page for the router will have the link to that page on there.

5. xanders thread starter macrumors member

I am using a Huawei USB-type dongle and it has a software, Mobile Connect, but this doesn't work once I upgraded to Snow Leopard. :( I still can configure the modem manually and connect to the net. But I can't measure the time now, hence the hunt for a 3rd party software. Have found many but they all seem to be focused on data usage.

6. xanders thread starter macrumors member

Solution found :) for all Tata Photon Plus users on Snow Leopard in India

Ok it was quite simple. The company that manufactures the modem Huawei has the drivers updated. Strangely the Service provider says that it does not support Mac OS Snow Leopard, when the drivers are available officially on the modem manufacturers site. The software also allows me to send sms etc. Cool which wasn't possible before! Oh and the drivers/softwares are available here:

http://www.huaweidevice.com/resourc...bile1014/index.html?directoryId=3874&treeId=0

Tested and works perfectly.

7. wilsonhaven macrumors member