Broadcasting equipement

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by BigPrince, Jan 13, 2008.

1. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

... some lights.

Without a proper lightning, you'll get crappy chromas.

2. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

lights are included in another plan, so I was told not spec those. everything else looked ok?

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

First of all, this should be in the Digital Video forum.

I'm not sure how those cameras would connect to the switcher. From what I know, I think you'd need a camera with SDI output to be able to connect it up to a switcher. One HD camera I know has this is the Canon XH-G1.

You don't have a VTR. You need this to record (obviously).

How are you going to get by with just 2 small monitors?

Every studio I've seen has more than that. You probably want a monitor for each camera, plus preview and program monitors.

For audio, you'll need XLR cables to connect the microphones to the audio mixer. You'll also need monitors (speakers) for the audio mixer.

You might need an intercom system for your director, td, and camera operators.

4. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

5. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

It might be a good idea to tell us what you are trying to accomplish, in order to get more suggestions.
    Cheers.:)

6. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

I am spec'ing out a simple broadcast studio for a high school to broadcast just within our building.

7. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

Wave form, vectorscope.
    Tripod dolly
    Focus and zoom controls
    Sync generator

You may want to bid this out to some sort of a system integrator who could give you a package price instead of buying gear piece by piece retail.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Get a decent sound board, depending how many cameras get a 3 or 4 monitor lcd bank for cameras.

9. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

That's great that your high school is allowing you such a big budget. I wish I could milk the money for my program as well, but I am asking them to set aside money for a new switcher (hopefully within the next couple years).

I've been eying this one:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/458867-REG/Datavideo__SE_800DVK2_Digital_Video_Mixer.html

It comes with 4 preview LCD monitors which is great, and all you'd have to attach is 2 separate monitors for preview and program.

Good luck with everything!

10. -DH macrumors 65816

Take a look at one of the three TriCaster models from NewTek. Multiple camera inputs, built-in audio mixer, graphics and editing and much more.

http://www.newtek.com/tricaster/

-DH

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Best response yet, IMO. Get quotes from some consultants and/or VATs (value added resellers) in your area. Not only will they probably be able to cut you a deal given the chunk of change you want to spend, but they'll also have answers to questions you won't even know to ask and if something doesn't work right they are responsible for fixing it.

Also, do you want to go HD or SD and you'll want cameras that have a nice, big tally light on them so your talent knows which camera is hot.

Lethal

12. HDproducer macrumors member

Absolutely right. Value added resellers really do add value. They can usually save you money with discounted pricing and a lot of headaches in the long run.