Broadcasting equipment

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by brandon.vong, Jul 11, 2008.

1. brandon.vong macrumors regular

Hi all,

I have a friend that just got a really cool position for our school's media/broadcasting department and she gets quite a bit of money to spend on new equipment? (Is $10k a lot?) What professional HD camera or what not should she look into and what accessories? Any specific resources that you can point me towards? Thanks!

2. -DH macrumors 65816

$10K isn't anything when you're asking about broadcast equipment - that wouldn't even purchase a broadcast quality lens.

But is she really going to be broadcasting? Or will she just be providing content for a cable feed?

-DH

3. brandon.vong thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not quite sure how much she has to spend. Maybe it was $10K for a Mac? We were just chatting for a little bit about the details and I didn't hear all of it.

4. brandon.vong thread starter macrumors regular

Oh... and which Mac should she go with? A Mac Pro? And if so, what configuration would you recommend?

5. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

It's difficult to say without knowing just what it's for and how much she's actually got to spend... It's like me asking you "what shoes should buy (including size)?"

Genuine broadcast is overkill for a lot of stuff, and if she hasn't got the money for it anyway we all (especially you) are going to spend a lot of time going down pointless alleys.

If you furnish us with some details I'm sure we can help.

6. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

lol

i'm afraid i agree with above poster without a proper idea of what money they have to spend or what it'll be for it's a rather pointless discussion.

But for a university the Sony A1 is a popular camera that gives HD capability and i'd rather my uni bought 3 of those over 1 'better camera' - uni's have a responisbility to provide enough equipment for everybody rather than one amazing bit of kit that only one person out of a class of 20 can use at any time.

For this reason i'd get imacs rather than mac pros. 10 imacs will be more useful than 5 mac pros.

7. -DH macrumors 65816

Sheesh. Then why did you ask the question when you don't even KNOW the basis for the questions that needed to be asked? People respond on these forums in an effort to help. Quit wasting everyone's time and energy. Wait until you have an actual question before posting again.

-DH

8. -DH macrumors 65816

That would have been an OK answer had the question been about providing equipment need to teach a class in NLE. But the OPs [fake] question was about equipment for broadcasting. An iMac won't cut it in most broadcasting situations. Not enough expansion and extremely limited connectivity for fast RAID arrays or SANs that would be needed for broadcast video formats.

-DH

9. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

yeh true. I was only making the point that if you're buying equipment for a uni, it's better to buy 10 of something slightly cheaper than 3 or 4 of the more expensive thing so that more people can use it at any one time.

but i do take your point that imacs are perhaps not suitable to broadcast standard production pipelines.

10. VideoShooter macrumors regular

Lots of Sony HDV or XDCAMs would work for cameras.

For an editing system you can't beat a mac pro with a AJA IO box.

I sometimes work as a consultant in this biz. You need to know the goals of the gear and the true budget. Plus the year to year replacement and maintenance budget.

11. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

10K isn't too much in the grand scheme of things, but a savvy spender could get a lot of out it.

Come back with more info like...

Is it just for one person for PR reasons?

Does the person expect to get a class set of materials?

Empasis on shooting or post?

Etc.

12. kingkezz macrumors regular

For cheap broadcasting at school's you're looking at the JVC GY-HD250U with the studio adapter.

13. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

I use the JVC HD110 and 200s all the time and they are an absolute joy. The 250's are fully genlockable and are the real deal