Broadening remit?

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by And, May 16, 2009.

1. And macrumors 6502

And

Hi,

There doesn't seem to be a natural place in these forums for discussing using Macs in science settings. What would people here think about broadening the remit of this group to 'Distributed computing and Science' or 'Macs in science settings' or whatever! (suggestions?). Any interest?

Regards, a.

2. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

you might try this topic in the site feedback section

3. And thread starter macrumors 6502

And

Good idea, thanks. However, I'll wait until there are a few more responses here first, no one seems to think it's a good idea, but no one has said it's a bad idea either...

Expanding the remit might enable discussion of, amongst other things, use of macs in stats and mathematics (Matlab, R, is Mathematica still around?), instrumentation (labview), graphing and visualisation (matlab again), discussions of benchmarking would be relevant too (xbench, geekbench). ...and of course distributed computing would still be highly relevant!

If anyone has an opinion either way, 'fess up! :)

4. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i think it's a good idea.

but it just seems that not a lot of people visit this part of the forum

5. And thread starter macrumors 6502

And

Well, on the basis that no has said they think it is a bad idea, I'll take this to the feedback section and see what folks there think!

cheers, a.

6. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

science and distributed computing only overlap in this one small part, so it may not make sense. i work at a oceanography institution and see macs getting used for science in a lot of interesting ways.

my fear is that science topics might possibly trump the few topics that DC gets. i know MR has a lot of subforums, and 99% of visitors here would skip science posts anyways so my fear my be misplaced

7. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc