Broadwell shipping this year

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrT-Man, Apr 15, 2014.

1. MrT-Man macrumors regular

On its quarterly call, Intel said that "we qualified to start up production this month. We will qualify for shipment to customers towards the end of this quarter." and "then you'll start to see our customers bring products to market as we progress into the second half of the year."

So -- would seem like a Broadwell MacBook Pro could certainly happen sometime in the fall.

2. Phonzoxd macrumors 6502

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Well... I'm not an expert in this business, but for me this sounds like another month or so of delay, since production was supposed to start in Q1. That still makes fall 2014 possible, since fall lasts until december 21.

However based on how Haswell worked out this year I would expect:
    - Air upgrade (or new 12'' rAir) with ULV Broadwell late 2014 (last week of october or november).
    - Broadwell MBPs early 2015 (maybe when the christmas return window ends?)

Of course I could be wrong. Some related news:
    http://semiaccurate.com/2014/02/19/sky-falling-intels-14nm-broadwell/
    http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/34418-broadwell-will-miss-back-to-school-spree

4. MrT-Man thread starter macrumors regular

No, the comments were very specifically about Broadwell.

Sure, it's been delayed relative to the intial plan, but the popular opinion here seemed to be that Broadwell wouldn't show up till 2015 (based on the Digitimes rumor). The comments very clearly suggest volume shipments in the second half of this year (starting at the end of this quarter, not like in Dec.).

5. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Even if this is specifically about Broadwell, Intel usually starts with the high end desktop CPUs and works their way down. So when they start shipping Broadwell it doesn't necessarily mean that the SKUs that will be used with the rMBPs will start shipping.

6. MrT-Man thread starter macrumors regular

Seemed to be four months, last time, between when Haswell shipments started & Haswell notebooks being broadly available. So a Broadwell MacBook could still happen in October.

7. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

Is there a chance of a rMBP refresh before the broadwell update?

8. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Maybe a minor speed bump.

Barney

9. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

That's what I've also concluded from researching the topic. It seems like it won't happen until Q4, so people going to college in the fall (like my younger sister) can buy now without having to worry about missing out.

10. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

The 15" could get a 850/860M as a dGPU. But that is it.

That conclusion makes no sense.
    If they launch the first chips in the 4th quarter, that usually means towards the end of the quarter but even if it was right at the beginning of the Q4 a couple months on top would put you into 2015.
    So far all rumors and published roadmaps say that only the dual core chips will land in Q4, which means quite a few higher end chips will launch later. Most likely dual core MacBook Air chips will land towards the end of Q4 and everything else will come in January.

Intel seems to be in no hurry with 14nm. They want to sell chips they produce with high yield cheaply and not rush to expensive 14nm and hurt their profit margins on the average chip sold. Which is why they intend to start with the tiny chips.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah, it was a while, so I'm still thinking 4Q though it still could slip to 2015

12. MrT-Man thread starter macrumors regular

You missed what I said at the start of this thread. The first chips will start shipping end of June according to Intel. Forget the leaked slides, the rumors and the Digitimes article -- i'm going by what Intel actually said last week on their conference call. The transcript is available on Seeking Alpha if you don't believe me.