Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yabot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
Hi all,

I read this alot but never comment much.

Bit of a noob but was hoping someone could clear this up for me,

what are the significant advantages of skylake over broadwell?

The reason i ask is, i currently have a early 2013 base 15 rmbp. i graduate this year and obviously lose my student discount at the end of august :(. Is it worth me risking it and waiting for a skylake 13 or 15, or jumping on the broadwell bandwagon?

Also be appreciated if someone could differentiate the graphics capabilities of the now broadwell HD6100 and whatever there will potentially be in the Skylake Macbook Pros...

Android300zx

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2012
I saw a video that highlighting some features of Skylake on Youtube. That might be your first bet.

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
Hi all,

I read this alot but never comment much.

Bit of a noob but was hoping someone could clear this up for me,

what are the significant advantages of skylake over broadwell?

The reason i ask is, i currently have a early 2013 base 15 rmbp. i graduate this year and obviously lose my student discount at the end of august :(. Is it worth me risking it and waiting for a skylake 13 or 15, or jumping on the broadwell bandwagon?

Also be appreciated if someone could differentiate the graphics capabilities of the now broadwell HD6100 and whatever there will potentially be in the Skylake Macbook Pros...

Is your 2013 Mac broken?
There is not much of an upgrade in buying the latest one right now.
The specs are almost the same. So instead of focus on the loss of a discount think of it as you save a lot by not buying the same computer twice :)

yabot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
Is your 2013 Mac broken?
There is not much of an upgrade in buying the latest one right now.
The specs are almost the same. So instead of focus on the loss of a discount think of it as you save a lot by not buying the same computer twice :)

Ah, well i bought it second hand for a decent price. Since then she's been good to me but i spilt coffee all over it (an ice white chocolate mocha with cream... sticky).. so since then keys are a little sticky and the delivery time of one of the tools i need to open it up has put me off fixing her...

Yeah it's true... just love me some new toys. I basically just want to know will skylake run FCP pro better, have a longer battery life, and run games like Battlefield 3 and occasionally WOW about the same as my current laptop.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
With Skylake there is a small 64MB Crystalwell aka Iris Pro planned for the 28W chips that go in the 13". Even without that DDR4 should offer some extra graphics performance. I doubt the CPU will be noticeably faster.
If you just care about general performance and battery life there is no need to wait.

If you want 13" and as much GPU performance as you can possibly get, then wait. Until Skylake you would basically downgrade GPU performance from your 15". Even with Skylake it won't be a huge upgrade.

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
Ah, well i bought it second hand for a decent price. Since then she's been good to me but i spilt coffee all over it (an ice white chocolate mocha with cream... sticky).. so since then keys are a little sticky and the delivery time of one of the tools i need to open it up has put me off fixing her...

Yeah it's true... just love me some new toys. I basically just want to know will skylake run FCP pro better, have a longer battery life, and run games like Battlefield 3 and occasionally WOW about the same as my current laptop.

Broadwell was just a minor touch-up of the Haswell, Skylake is new stuff so that will probably be a bit faster for everything.

Alloy201

Suspended
Mar 13, 2015
I cancelled my 2015 13" MBP due to things I read throughout this forum about a better 13" releasing in the near future or the 15" (if I can financially afford it). Hope you guys are all right, my 4 year old MBP isn't doing well. lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.