Brodit holder for iPhone 4 in an element case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Azzin, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Azzin macrumors 68040

Folks,

I've currently got a Brodit dock in my car, with an iPhone lead hard wired into it:

[​IMG]

Now... I've got a new case for my iPhone (Element Vapor) and the problem is that because there is a big recess at the bottom of the case, the dock of the Brodit doesn't reach up far enough to plug in and charge. :(

So what I need is to change the "holder" piece for one that doesn't have a dock so that I can just use the existing cable.

It looks like the one I need is a 511165:

[​IMG]

That will simply hold the phone and I can connect my existing lead into the bottom of it.

It's not perfect, as ideally I would to use my existing setup and just drop the phone into the holder, but seeing as the recess on the bottom of the Element case prevents that, my options are limited!

Does that sound right?

Ta. :)

2. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

Hmm...

I've just had a look at that option and it appears that there's a groove at the bottom of the holder, which means it's "gripped" at the bottom which isn't ideal as the Vapor gets slightly wider at the bottom/right, so it might wobble about slightly:

[​IMG]

So I need one that grips it slightly higher (as if it just had a bumper on).

3. LMD75 macrumors 6502

I have just ordered and fitted 511165 (Adjustable holder. Fits devices with skin - NOT for Apple original Bumper).

It works perfectly with my Incipio NGP case as 511165 is adjustable so it should fit your Vapor case too.

4. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

The problem is if you look at the bottom of the 511165, you'll see a groove where the phone sits in the holder (i.e low down).

The problem with this is that the Vapor has a wider point at the bottom right so it would probably wobble around.

[​IMG]

I need a holder that can grip it at the centre of the sides of the case...

5. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

6. LMD75 macrumors 6502

Sorry I missed that. The Brodit adjustable model can be adjusted at the top and bottom screws so it can be 'angled' (so you can have it tighter or looser at top or bottom). I don't think its going to go anywhere as it will grip nicely at the bottom plus it has grooves to stop it from slipping out.

The problem with that universal holder you just posted is that the legs cover up the speaker and mic when the power cord is fitted. I use mine for Satnav and making handsfree calls. Therefore I did not want a mount to obstruct the mic and speaker.

7. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

Which Brodit model are you referring to?

That's not a problem for me as I have a bluetooth Kenwood head unit that is iPhone compatible. The lead connects straight to the rear of the head unit and I can listen to music on the iPhone and have Navigon over the top (comes out of the car's speakers).

If a phone call comes in, the sat nav/music is automatically lowered and the call is answered (again, call comes through speakers).

8. LMD75 macrumors 6502

The same model (511165).

As you have a nice setup with your Kenwood, that universal mount looks like it will do the trick especially if you can mount it to your ProClip.

9. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

Exactly, I just need something to "hold" the phone in it's Vapor and I'll just have to manually attach the lead when I get in (no big deal).

10. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

Just a thought....

I have the Brodit 516165 and I'm just wondering if I can simply remove the "dock"?

[​IMG]

If so, I could keep the 516565 to grip the phone and manually connect the lead?

11. LMD75, Jun 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011

LMD75 macrumors 6502

I have tried searching for some detailed photo's to see if the dock is moulded. It looks like it is but you would be better off having a close look at it to verify. You may be in luck if it will simply unscrew or slide out.

12. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

Problem solved! :D

The dock is moulded, but I managed to gently bend it back and forth until it eventually gave and it's now bent backwards and my i4 drops in fine.

I then just connect the lead and I'm away!

Job's a good 'un!

Thanks for all the input.