Brodit mount 511165 not for bumpers!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by purpleparrotuk, Jul 11, 2010.

1. purpleparrotuk macrumors 6502

purpleparrotuk

Wanted to purchase the new Brodit passive adjustable mount for the Iphone 4 with a skin, but it says on the Brodit site thet it can't be used with a bumper (item 511165)

Can someone explain to me what difference it will make between a bumper and a skin?

I have emailed Brodit and am awaiting a reply.

It is also strange that the picture they show is just like a bumper but different volume controls.

http://www.brodit.com/images/511165.jpg

2. jsimpson macrumors regular

jsimpson

I'm not sure why they say that one doesn't work with the bumper. I have the one with the pass thru connector and I had to trim the plastic around the dock connector so it fit in the opening on the bumper. It works great now and you can't tell I had to do anything to it.

3. purpleparrotuk thread starter macrumors 6502

purpleparrotuk

This is the reply I have got from Brodit. If this is the quality of customer services they can stick their mounts.

My question:

Hello

I am interested in the adjustable iphone 4 cradle for use with a skin 511165. Could you please explain why this will not work with the official bumper? What is the difference between a skin and the bumper?

Thanks

The reply

fromEleonore Hermansson <b2@brodit.se>

dateMon, Jul 12, 2010 at 7:06 AM
    subjectSV: Iphone 4 cradle 511165

hide details 7:06 AM (16 minutes ago)

Bumper is something Apple have made for the Iphone.
    For more information about the bumper please check with Apple.

Br
    Marie

4. purpleparrotuk thread starter macrumors 6502

purpleparrotuk

my reply:

Could you please reply to my question. Your answer is nothing to do with my question.

Thanks

Brodit:

Hi!
    Sorry for my bad answer.

Skin are have a different dimension than the bumper from Apple.
    Since our phoneholders are productspecified didn’t the bumper case from apple fit.

For more information about the Bumper I will have to ask you to contact Apple since this is nothing we have in our sortiment we have too little information about this.
    Apple - iPhone 4 - Size, weight, battery life, and other specs

My reply:

Hi again

But skins are all different sizes and some are even the same thickness as the bumper so I think you need to amend your website. People will buy the mount and it will not fit if their skin is as thick as the bumper.

Regards

5. NickRno77 macrumors regular

Sounds like they don't understand your question, I would think if you want a proper answer best thing to do would be to ring dsldevelopments http://www.dsldevelopments.com/ you could buy the mount, if it doesn't fit send it back and get you money back, they may be happy to do this?

Looking at the image of the 511165 I can't see why it should fit.

6. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

The Bumper Is Thicker Than Most Skins And More "rounded". Looks Like This Holder Is Designed To Fit With Things Such As The Iluv Edge Or Other Silicone/tpu Type Skin/bumper Products

7. rmul86 macrumors 6502

8. NickRno77 macrumors regular

STOP PRESS:- I found an old Brodit XDA V1 Passive Mount which was 5mm wider than my iPhone 4 with a cheap bump case. Heated the mount in the oven @ 200 degrees C for about 5min, squeezed sides in to suit iPhone 4, fits lovely. Saved me £55 :cool:

9. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

180°C in a fan oven ?!

10. NickRno77 macrumors regular

I didn't pre heat it LOL

11. gb7 macrumors member

Proclip says on their twitter page that they are developing a holder for Iphone 4 with the bumper.

"Soon we will have special iPhone 4 cases that are custom designed for the Bumper cases"