Broke a key of my macbook air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mukulsharma, Jul 28, 2015.

1. mukulsharma, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015

mukulsharma macrumors newbie

I was cleaning my macbook air keyboard and broke the lock of one of my keys. I live in in India and here all the shops say that i need to replace the whole keyboard. So i ordered one from aliexpress.com. But its not backlit (I thought it would be). So i am back to square one. Are there any shops or websites where i can get an original replacement key thats also backlit.

Full Story
    So, i was cleaning from under the key; it was sticking out. I tried to put it back but couldn't. newbie mistake. So one of the the clip on the key broke and it started to come off each time i pressed it off centre. So i figured it was because of the clip that i broke. So i ordered a new key from a site. It was from an earlier model. The new key worked alright for a day or tow and then it also started to come off.
    Now i got confused as if its the scissors of the new key aren't fitting properly or the keyboard clips have messed up. I can't hit it on the bottom side. if i do it just pops off in my hand. I tried to exchange scissors from another key and they work fine. But the funny thing is the old scissors also work fine when used in another spot.
    So now i got no idea, whats faulty. Scissors or the keyboard itself, I never had such problem cause i type with very low pressure. Even now i've typed all this without my key popping off. God, Apple is such a mess in India.

2. mutaji macrumors member

3. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

4. mukulsharma thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah i did, Same response

5. mukulsharma thread starter macrumors newbie

I am thinking of http://replacementlaptopkeys.com/ They say they sell genuine oem keys from apple. Whats your say guys?

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, unfortunately, broken keys can be an occasional hazard with MBAs.

For what it is worth, I had broken keys - the letter 'a' - which was a nuisance - and the numeral '0' - on my previous MBA. The entire keyboard had to be replaced, but - fortunately - I had AppleCare, and the replacement keyboard was covered by AppleCare.

7. mukulsharma thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

How old is the MBA? Are you covered by Applecare?

9. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

I've used them for my MBP. Just make sure you are buying the correct one. Their website can be confusing. Take a picture with the key off and send it to them to double check the correct one.

10. mukulsharma thread starter macrumors newbie

I ordered mine from relacementlaptopkeys.com for $8.95 + ~$3 shipping. (There were cheaper ones for other models, In case you wondering why such amount for a single key). I hope its worth it.

11. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

I broke several keys off on my 2010 MBP, and it ended up being way cheaper to buy a replacement keyboard than to buy individual keys. Of course it meant major surgery, but saved me a ton of cash.

12. krishmk macrumors regular

I recently bought a keyboard for my mac air from eBay and it was $25 with screen. Spent 3 hours ripping apart the MBA and replaced the keyboard.

Totally worth it if you are tech savvy and have patience.