broke dc charger pin off inside dc port. cant retrieve.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lucface, Oct 11, 2007.

1. lucface macrumors regular

lucface

i broke the tip of my charger off in my powerbook ALs dc port. its floating around in there, stuck. my thin tweezers are to not thin to get a grip on it.
    now what?
    i took it apart, but to take the dc,usb board out it will be a massive job. i dont want to. i always end up with more screws than i started.

also, note; its not the male/famale round casing included. its just the male pin.

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

The male pin is hollow, right? My best suggestion is to find a small screw/bolt that will just screw into the hollow pin and grip enough to pull it out. Either that or a cocktail stick with some epoxy adhesive on the tip, CAREFULLY inserted into the hollow tip and left to cure

3. lucface thread starter macrumors regular

lucface

DC charger pin stuck inside powerbook (Fix)

FIXED!

Ok, Here is what i did:

first, The tip is not hollow. it has the side you can see by looking at yours at home. and a thinner end to grip its housing. so its like a soda bottle sort of, but more proportionate and with no slope.

before finally retrieving it I took the computer apart and tried getting at the pin from the back of the dc w/e( the place it was trapped in) with needles and tweezers... that didnt work. Then i started to look for a strong thin magnet to maybe pull it out the way it came in and was afraid to damage any data so stopped looking. then i tried pulling it out with tweezers(again) and they were always to big to fit in the hole. then i reluctantly gave up on it for a month and used my GF's Mac Book Pro until she was feed up and i tried finding a magnet again. no luck.

Eventually i found a pair of surgical tweezers that were still to big. I fashioned them down with a dremel so they would fit in the hole without squeezing closed before gripping the pin. i dipped the tips in rubber cement and wiped them off with my fingers so they would be sticky, but not gunk up the inside of my computer and further f-me. i got a flash light. i laid on my couch in my living room holding the laptop sideways and over my head with one hand so gravity would help push to pin. i put the flashlight propped against my shoulder facing up towards the hole and used the tweezers. i could almost get it. it was pretty funny looking, so my roommate thought. she offered her skills and i stood above her holding the PB will she lay on the couch. she got it within 30 seconds.

I am vary vary happy. i was considering giving in and sending it away. i like fixing things and learning and not paying money, so im happy to have done it my self. i couldn't find any resources on the forums anywhere to help me, so Hopefully this will help if it happens to you.