Broke down and bought a Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hayden21, Apr 16, 2008.

1. hayden21 macrumors member

I posted this not too long the other day, but I'm still just not sure.

I got an open book MacBook Pro from best buy for 1800 dollars 200 dollars off the MSRP for the baseline MacBook Pro, but I don't know if I got a good deal.
    I just think the highest base model for the MacBook is better than the low end MacBook Pro, I just don't see the specs being much different and the 300 dollar difference is eating at me.

2. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

You got a good deal. If apple was selling refurbished current gen macbook pro's they would be $1849+. Amazon is selling the last gen midline MBP for 1600. Be happy, don't sweat it, your price is good.

3. gothamm macrumors 6502a

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but the price you got it for was not good at all. You can get a brand new one from amazon for the same amount if you include tax.

plus, best buy open box items are the ones they use for display, no?

if they are, i'd say at the very least....1,000 people had their hands on it before you did.

i'd return it and buy from amazon, my friend.

4. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

Amazon is selling the baseline MBP for $1818 after $150 rebate. No tax.

You'll have to be the judge of what's the better deal.

5. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

Biggest difference IMHO is that the MacBook Pro has much better graphics capabilities, the Macbook has fairly poor onboard graphics. Whether this makes much difference to you depends on what you intend using it for...

"I just think the highest base model for the MacBook is better than the low end MacBook Pro"

I would disagree...

6. hayden21 thread starter macrumors member

Well luckily it was a return, the guy bought it for his wife and she didn't want it so he returned it. Thats if I believe the Apple employee their and it seemed pretty genuine consider the day before they were sold out of Mac's.

7. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

If it is the new 2.4 penryn chip w/ 200gb hdd, it is a good deal. If the screen is not yellow on the bottom 1/3rd and it does not buzz under the right speaker, KEEP IT.

I think the MBP is better 'cause of the video card, aluminum case, larger keys, lighted keys, larger screen, firewire 800, card slot...

8. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

Not a good deal at all. Take it from the guy who "thought" it was a good deal saving a hundred dollars on a open box MacBook from Best Buy. It was cracked and it was very slow. I didn't notice this until about 3 months after I bought it and I just got kicked out of Best Buy for trying to make a big deal. Luckily, Apple repaired the problems(almost).

9. jay1097 macrumors member

IMO the BB open box is a terrible deal. Sometimes they are just return from people that didn't like the product but they can also be display models, people who 'rented' the laptop for a week, other times people drop or break something with the laptop and just return it within the 15 days, without saying anything. Even worse there could be some liquid that was spilled into the laptop and then the person returned it without saying anything.

If you can return and buy it new threw apple, amazon or if you know a student get the student discount.

Sorry for being so negative but I have just heard of some many bad stories of the BB open boxes that it is never worth the 10% discount. You're already paying $1800 whats another $100 to get it new?

10. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

While I agree that it is a gamble to buy an open box, that does not make it a bad deal. It is also a gamble to buy a newest generation penryn MBP from apple. I plan to buy one from the apple store and open it there and test it. I already sent one back and have read several members here that sent back numerous MBP's. If he can get it cheaper somewhere else, then it's a bad deal, IMO.

11. hayden21 thread starter macrumors member

What is the problem with the newest penryn MBP? Isn't it the same processor in the Macbook?

12. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

I don't think there's a problem with the chip at all. You can find several discussions in the forum (maybe under hardware/notebook). The problems I read was yellowish screens, noisy screen with MS Windows OS, and a few folks with something buzzing. I got one online the day they came out and it buzzed, so I got a refund. I'll get something else or try another a little later. I have a 2.16 MB and a 1.83 Mini so...