Broke headphone off, now speakers don't work

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by icbarefoot, Jun 23, 2013.

1. icbarefoot macrumors newbie

Jun 23, 2013
    I know that similar things have been posted on here before but I was hoping that maybe something new was discovered. So here is the deal:

I broke my headphones off in my macbook. So now it won't allow me to use the speakers and in preferences digital out is the only output available. I have tried to remove the broken piece but to no avail. I have not taken apart the computer because I didn't want to go that far.

I have tried downloading a few apps to switch it but apparently they just pulll from preferences because they gave me the same options.

I have heard this is a hardware issue so it can't be fixed. Which makes me wonder why the startup chime still comes through the speakers. But not only that. I installed bootcamp after and Windows 7. I started up windows and the speakers work perfectly in windows, so apparently the software running in windows is smarter than the mac, or something. It detects there are no headphones I guess cause I didn't even force it to use speakers, which you can do in windows because the option never goes away.

Does anyone have any ideas how to get around this. Right now I have to use USB headphones to get any sound while using the mac os. I wonder if upgrading from lion to mountain lion might fix it because I have a free upgrade voucher through my school.
  2. PolaBurrr macrumors newbie

Jun 21, 2013
    easy, take it to the apple store and they will get out that broken piece in a matter of minutes. much better than a software solution that may still prevent you from using headphones in the future.
  3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Feb 9, 2011
    Actually, it's the other way 'round.

Regardless, you need to get it out of the jack. Take it in for service instead of attempting workarounds.