Broke into passcode locked iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Eldiablojoe, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Okay, this is strange because I have not been able to duplicate it on my own 3G 64GB iPad.

Someone left a 32GB iPad 3G at my work. It was passcode protected. I clicked on the little flower icon to look at some photos. There were only 3 photos on it. I was messing around with it and somehow, more than once, the settings screen came up. I couldn't manipulate it by going into any submenus or change any of the settings, but it did show me the iPad owner's email address.

I contacted them via that email addy, and they will meet me tomorrow to pick up the iPad.

I can't figure out what manipulations of the home button, slide to unlock, and photo album icon allowed me to see that settings screen. I didn't touch the sleep/wake button or the landscape/portrait switch or the volume controls.

Has this occurred to anyone else here?

2. nineohtoo macrumors 6502

nineohtoo

I think something like this happend with the iPhone 3G. I remember there was a combination that allowed you to access the contacts and make calls from the lockscreen before apple patched it.

3. stenogirl macrumors newbie

Good karma for you for e-mailing the owner for a return! :D

4. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Yep!

Thanks for being an honest person.

5. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

First of all its nice of you for being honest.

The owner probably had MobileMe and had activated the Find My iPad function which allows the owner to enter the MobileMe website and send a message to his iPad with anything he likes, like his phone or email address.

Check it out here:

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/features/find-my-iphone.html

6. No ice please macrumors 6502

Good for you! I wish that there were more people in the world like you.

7. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

Could they have taken a screenshot of the settings screen on accident? This would let you see it in slideshow mode.

8. Eldiablojoe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Ding Ding Ding, this is exactly what I discovered to be how it worked. Yuck, that was an awkward sentence...

9. AaronE macrumors 6502

That's pretty lucky of them to have taken that screenshot.

10. Jonescobbs macrumors newbie

11. eq2675 macrumors regular

Thanks so much for posting. I had no idea you could change the wall paper on the lock screen and disable the slide show.

I used Notes and created an information page, then took a snap shot of it. Then I went in to Settings, Brightness & Wallpaper, and picked the Notes photo, then used "Set Lock Screen".

Who knows, maybe if it is lost some kind person will call or email me. I do have Passcode Lock, and Erase Data enabled.

12. osxnewbe macrumors regular

Thank you for being a good person and returning the iPad to it's rightful owner. The world needs more good people like you!