Broke iPad2: Buy iPad2 or iPad1?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by legaleye3000, Jun 1, 2011.

1. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

I have insurance that is giving me what I paid for the iPad 2. I'm not sure whether to get another iPad2 or save money and get an iPad 1 from Apple.

From what I understand in the difference between the two, the iPad 2 is faster (speed on iPad1 never bothered me), has a camera (didn't use), is a little slimmer and lighter (isn't a big difference to me) and has a better speaker (not a huge deal to me either).

Is there anything else that would pull me towards another iPad 2? Especially with rumors of an iPad 3 later this year...?

Thanks

2. aramosc macrumors regular

aramosc

New macbook air maybe after wwdc..

3. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

Not looking to spend that much... I'm looking at 16gb wifi only models... Just wondering if $150 (price of iPad1 refurb from Apple) is worth the bump to iPad 2... All the upgrades that I mentioned above don't seem worth it, unless there's something I'm missing..

4. aramosc macrumors regular

aramosc

I used to have the iPad 1 and it's ok.. but if you are going with the iPad 1 you should go with a used one that is in top shape.. you can probably get it for cheap..

5. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ya- $350 refurb from Apple directly. The only pro I see for me coming from the iPad 2 is the smart cover and maybe that its a little lighter/thinner. Other than that, I don't do gaming, so I don't need the bump in speed, etc..

6. aramosc macrumors regular

aramosc

I'm thinking maybe craigslist or ebay you should be able to find one for 250~

7. supermanfan macrumors member

I bought an iPad 2 on launch day. Had to sell it to raise cash a week later.

Then bought an iPad 1 a while later used ($300 on Craigslist) and immediately noticed the weight difference and started my search for another iPad 2.

Sold the iPad 1 on CL for $350.

It's hard to go back.

8. gatearray macrumors 65816

Did you use the iPad 2 at all before you broke it? Did you like using it??? I would imagine the OG iPad might be a bit of a letdown for you if the answer to either of these questions is yes. Also...

...there will be no iPad 3 this year, and if you're this concerned about saving $150 to downgrade your experience to the Gen. 1, then why would you really care anyway?

9. cwerdna macrumors 6502

don't bother with iPad 1 at this point

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=12293945#post12293945

This topic has been beaten to death in the past. If you want to buy a device that's next in line for iOS deprecation or that won't receive a bunch of features in iOS 5 that are available to iPad 2 users, go for it. Whenever iOS 6 or whatever comes out, you can be sure that set of features unavailable for iPad 1 will be larger than that of iPad 2, assuming it ever comes out for iPad 1.

10. RWinOR macrumors 6502

Greenest and wettest place in North America
    I would purchase the IPad 2 again. It may have a higher resale when the threes come out and you will have enjoyed it for several months.

11. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

Wait until Monday. See what iOS 5 has to bring to the table. Certain things might not work on the original iPad.

12. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

iPad 2, it is worth the extra $150 just for the weight difference, slimmer profile you really notice a difference.

13. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Yeah, wait for a few more days.

iOS 5 will probably work on iPad 1, but we can't be sure until we hear it.

All in all, the iPad 2 is a better deal though, the 512mb RAM is going to make a big difference with future software as Apps mature. The Dual Core processor will also make a difference. Developers are doing more with the multicore architecture (the SDK makes it pretty easy to take advantage of multiple cores.)

If you're a gamer, the iPad 2 graphics accelerator is much much better than the one in the iPad 1.

They're both great. If you're using it just for web surfing, email, and some music / video, it probably doesn't matter. But if you plan on doing more, might as well get the iPad 2.

14. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559