Broke iPhone. Replace now or wait until Macworld?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fireworks501, Dec 31, 2008.

  1. fireworks501 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2006
    #1
    hey all

    well, after 2 years of being an iphone user i finally dropped my poor 3g iphone and shattered the face of it...

    thankfully amex is repaying me the cost of it as i'm apparently a valuable customer to them, so i can buy a new one today -

    that said: is it worth waiting until mwsf? i really need to be on my phone but could wait until tuesday if it's worth it

    have popped my sim into an old unlocked euro phone until then.

    have not been following the rumors. i heard about the iphone nano, but i'm not too interested in that. replacing a 16 gb black 3g and will replace it with the same unless there is some compelling rumor about a new high end iphone.

    any news on this front? more memory or better camera res?

    thanks guys, appreciate the advice

    after being on an iphone and iphone 3g for the past 2.5y, it really is tough to go back to a sony ericsson k610i...

    np
     
  2. Cask Guest

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2008
    #2
    You were a really early adopter since you've had an iPhone for 2.5 years now, it was only announced two years ago with it being released 6 months later hehe. But seriously, I would wait for Macworld. There are rumors that the iPhone might be updated to 32 GB just like this time last year (it was updated to 16 GB in Feb I believe). Macworld is around the corner, so I guess it would not harm to wait.
     
  3. DPA macrumors 65816

    DPA

    #3
    Well, just to clear up things, the iPhone has not been out for 2 years yet and certainly not 2.5 years. I see no need to wait until MWSF 2009 unless you want are hoping for a 32GB or an iPhone Nano which I still think won't be released, at MWSF at least.

    Happy New Year!
     
  4. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

    gadgetdad

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2007
    Location:
    On my iPhone
    #4
    Go get one today! I can't see any major upgrades coming this soon.
     
  5. DPA macrumors 65816

    DPA

    #5
    Me either, some people are too enthusiastic about rumored products. I'd hate to see thier faces when they found out the Newton was discontinued by Steve.
     
  6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #6
    Year and a half. There will be no new iPhone at MacWorld.
     
  7. fireworks501 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2006
    #7
    yikes, okay, not 2.5y, it just feels like we've had each iphone model for a year or so now...

    MY ERROR

    it was realized june of 07... so more like 1.5 y...

    thx for the advice, guys

    may just wait till tuesday for kicks
     
  8. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

    neesh0

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2008
    Location:
    Toronto, Ontario
  9. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

    gadgetdad

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2007
    Location:
    On my iPhone
    #9
    You're probably right. Just never buy one, and keep waiting for something better. While the rest of us enjoy our iPhones. :p
     
  10. uncdwm macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2008
    #10
    I'm sort of in the same position - I bought one on Christmas and it just arrived yesterday. It is killing me trying to decide whether to open it and activate it and hope nothing gets announced during MacWorld OR if I should wait for a week until after Tuesday's keynote just to be safe.

    - if i wait, will it cause a problem with AT&T that i rec'd the phone and wait 1-2 weeks to activate the upgrade?
    - if they do announce a new phone/capacity or different price does it matter if it is still shrink-wrapped or unopened or will i have to pay 10% restocking fee anyway? does it matter since i would be within the 30day return policy in either case?
    - if they do a price drop or a 32gb and drop the price of the 16gb i bought, could I get a pricematch like they did in past or what?

    Just trying to decide whether I should open and activate now or wait a whole week and what the implications would be if they did announce something next week...
     
  11. Daveecee macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2008
    Location:
    FL
    #11
    You don't need to wait until a week after the keynote. Wait until the keynote and, if nothing is announced, activate the phone.

    I think you will have to pay the restocking fee regardless, but if they release the 32GB, it's a small price to pay to upgrade to that capacity. If you only need/want the 16GB, you can pay the restocking fee to exchange it for the 16GB and get some cash back since the price is less. At least, I am pretty sure you can do this.

    By the way, the return period for Apple is 14 days. If you're talking about AT&T, I have no idea.
     
  12. uncdwm macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2008
    #12
    purchased on 12/25, shipped a day or two later, received on 12/30 so i guess depending on what date they go by that could be up to 13 days to the keynote. if they will charge restocking fee regardless and i'm within the return period, what's really the difference between me going ahead and activating now vs. leaving it shrink wrapped though?

    at&t selling so many refurbs plus the nano cases popping up and everything and it being apple's last macworld and jobs not there tells me there will be a lot of announcements this year to make up for it.
     
  13. kinkster macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2008
    #13
    Wait I think. If they have a new version they'll probably drop the 8GB version for the 16, and drop the former 16 for the 32.
     
  14. matperk macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 6, 2004
    Location:
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    #14
    Agreed. If there are iPhone changes it would just be that. However if you buy and they drop the price within 14 days they should credit you the difference if you go and ask for it.
     
  15. TurboSC macrumors 65816

    TurboSC

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2007
    Location:
    California
    #15
    If you can survive without it until MacWorld, there's no reason not to wait, or you'll be hating yourself later.
     
  16. japanime macrumors 68000

    japanime

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2006
    Location:
    Japan
    #16
    Fair enough -- except that the OP has bought one (in fact, more than one, since he had both the first-generation and 3G versions).

    I say wait till Macworld to see what (if anything) is announced. If they are shipping a 32 gigabyte model immediately, and the OP needs that amount of storage, then he'll have been wise to have waited. And if not, he can still pick up a 3G iPhone that day.
     
  17. synth3tik macrumors 68040

    synth3tik

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2006
    Location:
    Minneapolis, MN
    #17
    My phone started acting up on Thanksgiving, not wanting to deal with black friday I told myself I would wait to get it replaced. Then on Christmas eve it totally broke and I now needed a replacement. Apple would not replace it so I had to get a 3G and upgrade my service. I finally got a new 3G on Monday. I just could not figure a reason to wait, I needed a phone and like others have said at most I would think there would be a bump in storage and really that's all. If there is a "nano" chances are it will be different enough to make you want to stick with a 3G.

    Just my thoughts on it.
     

Share This Page