Broke macbook screen, need help with surgery

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ricgnzlzcr, Dec 22, 2009.

1. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

So I ended up breaking the lcd on a 2.1ghz penryn white macbook. I also happen to have a merom 2.0ghz macbook (first C2D macbook introduced) that is working, but without a superdrive.

Question is: Can I transfer the HD and the superdrive from the newer macbook into the old 2.0ghz macbook without a problem?

I know I might be able to transfer the screen from the 2.0 macbook to the 2.1 macbook, but that's a lot harder than just transferring the HD and superdrive. Thank you.

2. MTI macrumors 65816

I'm not totally familiar with the specific hardware, but Apple does use industry standard drives, so absent any special mounting hardware and temp sensor wiring, it should be a direct swap.

You should check the iFixit website for specific details about the surgery. ;)

3. harry*333 macrumors 6502a

harry*333

Personally I would just change the screen, I've down some serious surgery on my macbook and it can be done in under an hour with ifixit's intsructions

If not than I know that the harddrive will work for sure but I'm not sure if it will recongnize the superdrive but if you install it and it doesn't see it than it won't do anyharm

4. ricgnzlzcr thread starter macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

Thanks for the help. I think I'll try trading the HD and the superdrive first and if that fails, do the screen surgery.

I use ifixit for directions, but the screen involves a lot more steps compared to just replacing the HD and superdrive.

I appreciate the help

5. twoblacklabs macrumors newbie

have a look at this

Don't know if this will help you or not. Worth a look.

Macbook Source Book

twoblacklabs