Broke my bash

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by watkinskris, Feb 1, 2015.

1. watkinskris macrumors newbie

Hello everyone. This is my first time posting here so please forgive me if I have posted in the wrong section by error.

I have been trying to get the source code for Apache OpenOffice by using the bash command terminal. However, it wasn't finding the commands I needed to use. I then went and tried

sudo -s

but it came back with sudo command not found.

I then ran the

echo PATH$

command and it came back with this

JAVA_HOME=/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_07.jdk/Contents/Home

Now, I know this means I have broken my bash and that my PATH is all messed up. For one of my programming classes I had to install JAVA developer tools and followed an online how to. It looks, however, like I did something really wrong.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to fix this? Or point me to a place that has a tutorial I can follow to fix my PATH.

2. lukeg01 macrumors newbie

https://kb.iu.edu/d/acar
    here is some info about your path.
    My path is
    Code:
    /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
    so you probably need to add the other path to it as well so my GUESS would be you need
    Code:
    /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_07.jdk/Contents/Home
    I would like someone to confirm that
    setting it to the first will probably solve it but still won't give you java command line (I think). I'd say try the second, if it doesn't work get the first.