Broke my hacked iPhone...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Hankcah, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Hankcah macrumors regular

-Had an older firmware on my iPhone and was using JailBreak (cydia, sn0w, does that sound right?)

-Dropped the sob and cracked the screen. So I tried to do a restore via iTunes, but I was using an older version of itunes and it came down to taking it to the apple store. My friend worked for Apple, so they didn't kick me out due to the hack.

Question is: Can I use the backup that I tried to restore with prior on this newer updated iPhone and an updated iTunes? I do not have any phone numbers, only a select few via gmail contacts. Could I run the backup? or will it break my current phone? Also my pictures and such.

Does the backup even care what version you have on any phone, and just do the data?

(Sorry for the lack of firmware numbers. Also, I do not want a hacked iPhone in the future)

2. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Why don't you try it and find out??? It'll either work, or it won't.

You gave us zero information regarding phone model, itunes version, firmware version. So who knows? Althought I'm sure the usual suspects will post and speculate away on every possible combination and what may work. Generally speaking a few firmware versions difference is all it can take for itunes to complain that the backup version is too old for this particular phone.

3. Hankcah thread starter macrumors regular

I don't want to end up without a phone, or a brick. What is exactly on an iphone backup. Should it matter if you haven't updated your phone to be able to use a backup?

4. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

You can use the backup fine, however I would recommend restoring from new as it is a new phone.

Is the new phone the exact same model etc?

Either way you will not brick your phone but sometimes using a backup can cause battery drain or issues you may not want.

5. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Since you are so worried, have you considered reading the user manual for the phone? You seem to need some basic instruction in what a backup is. Your paranoia is way out of line for what you are trying to do.

6. Hankcah thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys, I will try it out. This group is so sensitive.

7. thespazz macrumors 6502a

Ignore the douchebags that decided to chime in. There was helpful advice in here. You can go ahead and restore from the backup safely. It mostly holds user prefs, app data, SMS database, nothing important to the software to screw anything up.

You're also in luck, because you can jailbreak your current phone :)

8. Cortezbanks macrumors 6502

wat?

9. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

if the iOS version is different, I'm pretty sure you cannot restore from a backup. my backup was 4.1, my phone was on 4.2.1 and it would not let me restore, had to set up as new.