broke power connector

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by garegin, May 29, 2008.

1. garegin macrumors newbie

i tried to pull the wire out and the entire connector came off. the question is whether i can solder it and whether i should/could do it with cold heat. or whether i should send it to a repair shop. in aother words, is it humanly possible or it needs special tools

2. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

What connector is that? MagSafe? Or earlier PowerBook/iBook power connector?

You probably could fix a MagSafe connector, if you are good at soldering. Wouldn't recommend ColdHeat, since those pass high current through the joint you are soldering. High current + electronics = bad idea.

Googling shows how someone else on the Net did a DIY MagSafe repair: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dnhoshor/sets/72157602272265267/

3. garegin thread starter macrumors newbie

its a ibook g4 14" annd what broke off is the power button header on the board

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Pics would be nice! Also, shouldn't it go to the nearest Apple Store and get replaced? Yes, I have seen others doing their own repair work, but I wouldn't trust myself to take on that task. :confused::eek:

5. garegin thread starter macrumors newbie

the power button connector has been ripped clean off the motherboard. there is a little metal piece still remaining but other than that, the jack is ripped off. i wanna know a reliable place where they can solder it back and NOT simple replace the mobo because its gonna cost a fortune.

6. jonathandodson macrumors newbie

It will actually be easier to replace the board than solder it. The good news is that it's a seperate piece (dc-in board) from the logic board and is fairly inexpensive.

7. garegin thread starter macrumors newbie

guys its not the dcin board. its the socket where the power button wire goes into.

[​IMG]

8. jonathandodson macrumors newbie

Opps, misread the the posts.

Those are kind of a pain to solder but with a sharp point and steady hand it's been done a lot. It's really common for the connectors to come off when removing the top case.

It will really depend on whether the pins are on the board or still attached to the connector. I would try to solder it with the cable plugged into the connector because when you go to plug it back in it usually breaks off again.

Good luck.

9. garegin thread starter macrumors newbie

can someone give me some pics as to which ones im soldering together?
    there are two metal posts that hook onto the socket body and then the two small pins. so where does each go?

10. NewMacguyibook macrumors newbie

I have the same problem:(

You want to solder the 2 smaller ones, NOT the ones with the "Hook", looks like they hold the plug to the board.

I think with a really fine tip and solder as thin as foil should work.

Roll the foil into small strips and lay a wire down and hope for the best. Better yet just solder a little tiny amount to the wire then solder to the board, the pin closest to the modem and etc is the "WHITE power pin wire".

From searching the web it seems to be a really common thing for the ibook G4's to do.

Will let you know how mine goes in the next few days.

11. bigneilt macrumors newbie

about those images, here are mine

I went to take off the top plate and all the connectors but the power connector came off with ease. The power connector as others have discussed broke free from logic board. I am unsure what pins on the board I am soldering to, so I have posted a picture of what I believe to be the correct pins. The 2 large ones at the top of the circle.

[​IMG][/IMG]

The plug that gets soldered down has 2 small wires on the bottom and where I have drawn to red lines, there are wire nubs on the sides. The distance of the pins on the logic board looks greater than distance between the 2 wires on the connector plug.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Can someone simply explain to me what gets soldered to what.