Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trueredsoxfan58

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2013
When reassembling my mac i broke off the screw receptacle of my mac motherboard. Being the klutz that i am i then dropped it into a black hole under my desk where it will never be found. Anyone know where i could order a replacement one? The fan is still held securely in place by the other two screws, and i have monitored CPU temps and there is no difference in performance
I have a 2013 Macbook Air with Core i7 8gb Ram and 512gb ssd

klrrIbC.jpg

dyt1983

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2014
USA USA USA
You mean you broke off the standoff that is fit into the motherboard, or the screw? Your picture isn't really clear, there's a screw there.

trueredsoxfan58

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2013
That picture is from ifixit. I broke the thing that the screw screws into ontop of the motherboard

dtjay7

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2008
N. CA
I did that before, it never caused a problem with just having the other two. That standoff breaks off easily if you try and tighten the screws very much.
I still had the standoff and tried to glue it with a drop off superglue and it didn't work.

Last edited:

trueredsoxfan58

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2013
I did that before, it never caused a problem with just having the other two. That standoff breaks off easily if you try and tighten the screws very much.
I still had the standoff and tried to glue it with a drop off superglue and it didn't work.

if you still have the standoff ill buy it off you and give it a shot. PM me a quote

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.