Broke, two macs, what to do?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Coca-Cola, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

Hello,

I am broke. I have no money. However, I do have two macs. A 867 PowerBook G4 and an iBook 1.2 Ghz. I need a single faster newer desktop. What do you think I can get for my two machines? Once the old machines are sold, what should I get?

2. mrgrieves macrumors newbie

If you are broke but desperately need a new desktop, I would have to recommend just putting together a PC from scratch.

You can get something very powerful together for only a few hundred bucks.

If by broke, however, you mean "not broke" and insist on apple, I would go for the cheapest of Apple's desktop offerings, which I believe is the Mini.

Can you plug your mini into one of your laptop displays? I'm not sure.

3. Drile macrumors member

I don't believe this is possible with the iBook, not that it would look good anyways.

4. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

I second the idea of a cheap PC from scratch *IF* you really cannot buy a new mac of any kind. If you can and need a mac then a mini would do fine. You can get really cheap LCD's these days or for free you can probably get a 19" CRT donated to you :)

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

iMac from the Apple Refurb store. Full new warranty. Fair price. Free shipping.

6. Coca-Cola thread starter macrumors 6502

thinking iMac

I am thinking iMac. How close do you think I will get to affording one? I think I could handle being 300 dollars short. However, for the first time, I have been thinking HP. I really don't want one, but...

7. mrgrieves macrumors newbie

If you go PC do not under any circumstances buy them premade, ESPECIALLY if you are on a budget.

Putting one together yourself is NOT HARD and you will get something much more powerful for much less.

I'm not talking 10-20% on both counts, I'm talking twofold differences or more.

Check out http://www.newegg.com for parts, they are generally well priced and have excellent service and shipping.

As for guides on putting together your own PC, you can find them all over the internet in a short search. Just look for things such as "budget pc" and they should list several configurations for different price ranges.

I put together my first PC just by reading the instructions that came with the components, and I got it right the first time. It may seem daunting but really it's just a lot of put the square peg in the square hole.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's not that competitive once you toss in a Windows OEM license and the warranty/support.

9. mrgrieves macrumors newbie

I'm going to go out on a limb here and be realistic and say that a broke resourceful guy can find a copy of windows lying around. (omg fbi)

I have never purchased a warranty for a computer in the 10+ years I've had my own, nor have I ever needed one.

I can't justify wasting part of an already limited budget on a warranty, not to mention that parts will come with their own manufacturer's/retailers warranties usually for a time period that is very fair to weed out technical defects.

However, if you plan to be juggling open milk cartons around an open PC case, then get a warranty. *rolleyes*

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Quite true, $89 + shipping isn't that bad for a XP Home OEM disc online.

Components really start to add up quickly. I found it hard to price against Dell even though I already have a copy of Windows and a monitor. It's only exacerbated by my higher education pricing.

11. GlynJones macrumors 6502

I second that suggestion.

When bought my iMac 24" CTO it was funded by selling my Powermac G5 Dual 2.0 and a Mac Mini Core Duo + £200.

When i bought my BlackBook it was funded by selling my PowerBook 12" 1.33 + £450.

As long as the machines are in good condition, with boxes and all accessories I can see no reason why the sale could not fund a 17" iMac refurb.