Broke wife's iPhone!!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by byebye, Jun 27, 2011.

1. byebye, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011

byebye macrumors newbie

I made the mistake of pressing the "restore" button on iTunes, following that I tried restoring some firmware (3.1.3 I think) but it was not the hacktivated version.

So, now I'm stuck with the "The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported" message.

I'm guessing I have to restore the hacktivated 3.1.3 version of the firmware (I'd prefer an older OS) and probably some other steps as well, but I can't restore the firmware because of that message.

Can anyone help me?

BTW, I do not have access to a valid AT&T sim card and the phone is a 3G.

2. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

So create a firmware that has hacktivation and restore with that in DFU mode.

3. r2fa3l macrumors regular

you didn't "break it" you bricked it. :D
    just hacktivate it again.

4. byebye thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - but - I guess I need that in english.

I downloaded this file;
    iPhone1_2_3.1.2_7D11_Activated_Custom_Restore_iLikeMyiPhone.ipsw

..and have it ready to go. What is DFU mode & how do I get there?

5. soco macrumors 68030

soco

DFU is a different kind of recovery mode than the usual one that shows the white cable pointing towards an iTunes logo.

If you Google it there are a quite a few tutorials on how to get there.

The trick is the 4 second period of time between the Apple disappearing and you letting go of the power button.

6. TC25 macrumors 68020

One Mississippi, Two Mississippi, Three Mississippi, Four Mississippi.

7. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Something like that, yeah :) I prefer using the word misanthropian though.

8. hackthatphone, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2011

hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

No, he didn't brick it.

Geeze people sure love to throw that term around without even knowing what it means.

Brick means dead, period. The end.

I wouldn't trust any pre-built file on the net. Make your own. You can get the firmware from apple and then use pwnagetool to add in hacktivation.

9. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I had to post this...when I saw the title I thought you were talking about your broke wife's iphone...like your poor wife's iphone. Haha.

10. byebye, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011

byebye thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent - dfu mode done, that file I mentioned;

iPhone1_2_3.1.2_7D11_Activated_Custom_Restore_iLikeMyiPhone.ipsw.001

..has now been restored to the iPhone.

I got an error (1015) after the restore (expected I believe).

So now iTunes says; "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes."

What little I DO know is that normally "TinyUmbrella" should be able to get me out of this - however - I ran TinyUmbrella & it doesn't seem to notice the phone anymore.

Can I impose on someone for the next step?

11. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

try RecBoot, that will kick it out of Recovery mode

12. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

No kidding, brick means it's completely useless and no fix is gonna bring it back. I don't think it's possible to "Brick" an iPhone is it?

13. byebye thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I didn't break my wife...but I won't be expecting any, ah, favors until this issue is resolved.

I didn't see that warning about making your own hack until after I'd loaded the firmware noted above. Kinda worried about "bricking" the phone as I didn't know it was even POSSIBLE to kill the phone via software.

14. byebye thread starter macrumors newbie

I cannot find this for windows. :(

15. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

16. byebye thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, got it.

Unfortunately, Recboot says "No device in recovery mode found".

iTunes says "This iPhone cannot be used because the required software is not installed. Run the iTunes installer to remove iTunes, then install iTunes again.

I guess I'm an idiot that's gonna need step-by-step instructions. Bear with me if you're willing. What's next?

17. byebye thread starter macrumors newbie

This sounds good. What key do I press first :D

18. byebye thread starter macrumors newbie

Hopefully you guys (or girls) have not given up on me. I have to leave to coach soccer later tonight, but have a few more minutes to work on this today before resuming tomorrow morning. I promise to follow instructions to the letter & be appreciative. Although I'm a little older (47) I'm a development lead at a software company, so not a 'lost cause' on technical matters.

The current situation;

RecBoot says "No device in recovery mode found"

TinyUmbrellas now recognizes the phone again, but, the button to kick device out of recovery is greyed out.

iTunes is now back to "The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported."

The phone itself now is available for emergency calls only.

My preference is to go to an older v3xx OS so this iPhone 3G will be as fast as possible.

The last firmware file I restored was iPhone1_2_3.1.2_7D11_Activated_Custom_Restore_iLikeMyiPhone.ipsw which I downloaded from the net..maybe it is fine I don't know.

19. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

does itunes recognize the phone?

20. byebye thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, iTunes is back to "The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported."

21. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

do the DFU restore like you did early this time when you get error 1015 RecBoot should see it then kick out of recovery

22. byebye thread starter macrumors newbie

This is strange, but I can't seem to get back into DFU mode. I hold power & home together, screen goes blank, wait two seconds, release power (continue to hold home). I can keep holding home for thirty seconds, but the phone just remains off - it doesn't turn back on & doesn't enter DFU mode.

23. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

That is DFU mode. iTunes will recognize the phone but the screen remains black.

This is a very simple procedure. Download sn0wbreeze and the iPhone 3G 3.1.3 firmware file. Create a custom firmware with sn0wbreeze and when it asks if you want to "Activate The iPhone", select yes.

When it's done creating the firmware. Open iTunes, hold shift and then click restore. Find the custom firmware you just created and let it do it's thing.

24. byebye thread starter macrumors newbie

The screen is blank, but iTunes does *not* recognize the phone until I turn it back on - and then it has the invalid SIM message (unable to restore when you have that message). Thus my conclusion I don't seem to be entering DFU mode.

25. byebye, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2011

byebye thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, I managed to get it back into DFU mode, doing the restore now. When I get to the 1015 message, I'll run the RecBoot we downloaded earlier.

OK, I did the restore but it's actually a different error;

"The iPhone ~iPhone~ could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1604)."

I ran Recboot anyway, but it says "No device in recovery mode found".